Chapter Three

After the very sweet and complimentary things that Doug said earlier, let me just say that both myself and my knickers are under no illusions why he said them. For Doug DiCarto, this is business. And to get ahead in business, you often have to sweeten up the clients. He said himself, he won't take no for an answer. And I'm sure he's going to use plenty of that DiCarto charm to ensure that I don't say no.

But I have to admit, I rather like him having to work that little bit harder with me, because I'm sure that DJ Delectable doesn't get told no all that often. And he will have to work to get me. I haven't performed in public for nearly four years. I still have my voice, but unfortunately, I also still have my issues with getting on a stage. And when you collaborate with Doug DiCarto, you have to get on a stage time and time again. The thought of that, literally terrifies me. I know I am no longer the girl I was four years ago, but I still carry the emotional scars from back then. I still go cold at the thought of having to perform in front of a large and expectant crowd.

But I also know that opportunities like this don't just drop in my lap on a weekly basis. I know that what Doug is now offering me, is a chance of a lifetime. I just need to decide whether I am strong enough to take that chance. I just need to see whether I can actually work with someone like Doug DiCarto. And since our little getting to know each other chat, I'm beginning to think that I could.

After us both leaving the sun terrace together, to return to the small party that was in full and funky swing, I have been caught a few times by him, appreciating all of who he is.

"Sooooo, what do you think?" Nancy is kind of doing this on the spot dancing thing, trying to make herself look really inconspicuous.

I know what she's asking me, but I'm going to keep her guessing for just a little while longer. "About what?" I ask, casually taking a sip of my iced vodka and orange.

With her shoulders rhythmically moving up and down, she grins at me. "Don't you give me that, Frankie Fenner. I've seen how you keep looking at him when you're trying really hard not to look at him. Which I can't really blame you for, because....look at him!" Her head turns, looking at where Doug DiCarto is talking to an attentive small group of people.

So again, I look.

Again, I appreciate the tall, dark and gorgeous view.

I know I shouldn't be smiling, but I also know that I am. "If this collaboration has any chance of working, I can't be fooling around with my collaborator." My smile morphs into a telling smirk.

Nancy keeps on jigging around in front of me, her wine in one hand and a point to make with her other. "You're a singer, he's Doug DiCarto. If you can, just have a little fun with it."

My eyes flick to where Doug is, growing increasingly annoyed with myself for letting them keep doing that. "You know I never mix business with pleasure." Comes my much more sterner view of things.

Nancy playfully uses her pointy finger on my chest. "Well, maybe you should." She then runs her hand through her peroxide longer-top pixie cut, smiling back at me.

Pursing my lips, I quickly shrug my shoulders. "Yeah right, the last time I did that was with Falco, and look where that got me?"

Screwing up her face, Nancy groans. "Ah, he was a total tit head. You were just a stepping stone for him to get on ahead in the DJ game." She unimpressively explains.

It is now a faded time ago when Falco Garrison dumped me via a text message. After releasing the hit track, Lovers and Leavers, me and my weight had become a cruel topic of conversation, while his career was just about to take off. I began pulling away from performing in public, while he was seizing every opportunity to do just that. The fat singer had opened up many new doors for Falco, and the fat singer had fully served her purpose. Six months after the release of Lovers and Leavers, I finally got dumped. Ironic really, how Falco was once my lover and then he became a leaver. But you know what, even though I thought I would never sing again, music helped me to lose weight. I began doing Zumba and Clubbercise. Exercising didn't actually feel like exercise. I also began a healthier relationship with food and drink. Within a year, I was down to a curvy size 12. I was happier and healthier, but it didn't cure my stage fright.

I have continued to maintain my weight and my happiness, but I have sadly also maintained my stage fright.

But as Nancy rightly just pointed out, maybe I should be having a little fun this weekend? Maybe a little fun is just what is missing from my life? And after all, I am in Ibiza. Paid for by DJ Delectable himself.

I can actually have a little fun with whoever I want.

I think the Spanish sun might be starting to get beneath my skin.

I think the Balearic beats are now thrumming through my veins.

Or maybe it's just the vodka?

Or maybe it's that DiCarto charm?

Whatever it is, I feel good about feeling good. I'm feeling so good, I actually start dancing with Nancy. Just as I sing well, I dance well. Dancing always make me feel so free and so confident. When I'm dancing, I just can't stop smiling. And my smiling and dancing has very much caught the attention of Doug DiCarto.

He smiles, devilishly smiles.

And when he devilishly smiles, my hips outrageously swing from one sassy side to the other.

Yeah, I think a little Ibizan fun is just what this girl might need.

**The video above is: ABOUT YOU (feat Maxine - JACOB PLANT