ONE

MAXINE BROOKS

The line at We-Serve was the most crowded at the gas station. No one wanted to freeze their butts pumping fuel in the cold. I walked up to the Self-Serve to save precious time while reminding myself that I was a strong and independent woman!

I reinserted the nozzle and got a whiff of something nasty. My hand reeked of gasoline strong enough to take a few hairs off my nose. I reached for the free sample lotion inside the glovebox and applied it on my skin. A pleasant vanilla scent lingered in the air. It reminded me of cupcakes my aunt used to bake.

"Hey, Maxie, what's up?"

It was Justin with his silver truck. He staggered out, wearing the same sweater as last week. His hair was a mess, no surprise, he had come to work disheveled. I wonder if he knew I wasn't headed to the pub tonight. I touched the last cheque in my pocket from waitressing. It wasn't enough to make ends meet.

"All done over there?"

"Yeah I'm done, I'll just park it off to the side."

He waved and thanked me before walking off.

I sprinted towards the convenience store and kept my head down to avoid the north wind. Pulling out the door, I thought I'd be greeted with warmth, but there wasn't enough heat to warm up a soul. My hands buried themselves under my armpits to keep them warm. If I used my frozen fingers to do anything they'd likely fall off.

An all-you-can-eat snack day sounded good. I grabbed a handful of chocolate and candies. After a miserable night at work, nothing was better than drowning yourself in sugar. That motivated me to get up this morning. I bit my lip, already tasting the sweetness of it.

"Oh crap!"

Sandra was at the till counting cash. Shifting the basket holding the goodies, I couldn't help but wish it was Martha's shift instead. Her vision was poor and she'd charge more if you weren't paying attention but it was better than dealing with a gossip queen.

Sandra's eyes lasered into me before I had time to hide. I had to grow some ladyballs or leave my goodies behind. The latter choice wasn't an option. I dragged my feet to the counter like a soldier ready for battle.

"Hi Sandra," I said flatly, standing in front of her with a bored expression on my face. I pleaded to the universe she wouldn't talk my ear off.

"I heard you were leaving today and that you got fired from waitressing," she chided, taking the items from me before punching them in. Typical Sandra. There was no greeting and the conversation was straight to the point.

Justin scoffed from behind the aisle, startling me with his snort. He came forward and joined us at the counter, carrying a pack of gum and a box of condoms in his hands. I averted my gaze suddenly feeling uncomfortable.

"Our manager is a heartless shitbag," he said as he bagged his items. "You're better off not working in his pub if you don't want trouble. I caught him leering at a young woman and had to divert his attention. You should find a safer job."

The manager tried touching my ass once. Then I bent his finger in half and threatened to tell his wife about it. If I didn't need the job so badly, I'd have done more to his stupid ass.

Justin turned to Sandra. "Maxie missed a few days of work to help out Kelly. What was she supposed to do? She swapped a few shifts with me, and the bastard was too lazy to deal with paperwork."

In spite of that, I knew it wouldn't be enough to satisfy Sandra's curiosity. Where did she get all this information anyway? The inquiring mind wanted to know. I wouldn't be surprised if she had cameras hidden inside the store.

"Are you sure you want to leave? Where will you go?" Sandra asked. "It's heartbreaking to lose someone and even harder to deal with it alone. Trust me, when I lost my husband, God rest his soul, I was glad we had kids to comfort me."

We both nodded our heads in sympathy.

"Going back out in cold ladies," Justin said as he zipped up his jacket. I watched as he left the store and caught sight of my car, Magda.

"I've packed everything that I own. Magda and I will set out on an adventure. See where life takes us."

Maybe Sandra meant well. Perhaps this time, it wasn't to spread the news about poor Maxie. How do I tell her that the constant sorry from neighbours was slowly breaking me? There was nothing holding me back here. It was time to leave.

She pointed at my beat-up car. "There is a possibility that Magda may break down. You should sell that junk car and get something else instead."

"No way. Not a chance in hell. I'd rather eat snakes than sell Magda. And do you know how much I hate snakes?"

Having heard that, she huffed in response. Maybe she inhaled too much gasoline fumes to suggest selling Magda. I've been driving Magda since I was eighteen. A used 2013 MINI Cooper in pepper white. She was a birthday present from Aunt Kelly, and I treasure her like my own child. Do you sell your firstborn? I think not.

Feeling sorry for Magda, I looked outside to check on her and found a weird man was circling around my car.

Was it the rust you were admiring, asshole?

Nothing was visible to steal. I loaded all my belongings into the trunk.

"Hey, Sandra. You take care, okay? I gotta run."

I stepped out of the store in a rush, but before I got there, he had already left. That was bizarre. I breathed in the frigid air, looked around me one last time, and half-heartedly said goodbye to the town that was once my home.

Author's Note:

If you enjoyed the story, please vote by clicking the star ⭐️ at the bottom of your screen.

Please add Into You to your library if you want to be notified.

Hello, I'm Lia. Nice to meet you!

Is it super hot, crazy cold, or all seasons where you live? In Canada, we get all of it! Snowy days, cozy sweaters and hot lattes are the best.

Thank you for reading  (っ◔◡◔)っ  See you next chapter.