NINETEEN

Maxine Brook

It turned out confession time had to wait until we were both comfortable. With one hand on my back he pushed me to my room and told me to shower. After spending so much time with people, I was fine with that.

I flinched when he slammed his own door knowing he was about to get wet. He usually showers every night after working out his yummy abs. I wasn't complaining that he was skipping his workout routine.

Was it last night that he dragged me inside his training room? Holy damn hotness, it was a struggle to keep my eyes off him while he lifted weights. My wicked eyes worked harder than my body. As he painstakingly took off his shirt, I watched the sweat slowly run down his chest. He kept eye contact with me before throwing his shirt carelessly on the floor. He knew damn well what he was doing to me.

How dare he seduce me after pushing me to workout? I picked up his discarded shirt, balled it and threw it in his face. I laughed when he ran after me. I didn't know where I got the courage to tease him, but it felt natural to be playful around him. I never had that with anyone of the opposite sex before.

As I entered my own bathroom, I took a deep breath. I knew I'd have to confront him soon about my mother. Scratching my head, I wasn't sure what information he was looking for. I didn't have many facts or stories about the woman who gave birth to me. Aunt told me dad never liked talking about her.

"I was too young to remember." I muttered under my breath.

I removed my clothes and put on a bathrobe. It felt so satisfying removing foundation from my face. Three cotton pads were thrown into the trash.

Removing my bathrobe, I stumbled into the shower. My legs hurt from wearing high heels. It was set at the highest temperature. If it wasn't hot enough to cook me, it wasn't hot enough to relax my sore muscles. Within minutes, the entire bathroom was filled with steam.

Between the steam and the constant water on my face it became difficult to see. It was tricky to tell which button to press to stop the shower. Still with the water running, I took down the shower head.

"So many damn buttons!"

Several buttons were pressed until the water stopped flowing. While rushing to put the shower head back into the holder, I totally missed it. It hit my head on its way down, delivering a nasty blow to my head.

Tears of pain gathered in my eyes as I screamed. Upon touching my forehead, I saw blood on my fingers. Shit, it scraped my skin. A shiver swept over me. Double shit, how much blood was on my forehead?

A second scream escaped my lips as Hunter barged into the bathroom. Standing still as he approached, I closed my eyes.

"Hold on," he whispered. "You okay?"

I felt his breath on my bare shoulder. "Just dizzy from the pain, or maybe it's the blood." I held on to his arm, then realized I was naked. "Get out!"

He ignored me and wrapped me in a towel. Lifting me in his arms, he carried me to the bed.

"You... you... saw me naked!" I spluttered, finally opening my eyes.

"Is that a problem right now?" He frowned, concerned."You're hurt."

"It didn't happen to you!"

Glaring at him, I was embarrassed that he saw me naked. It was my fault that I was clumsy, but I didn't want to admit it. I could feel my face getting hot and wanted to disappear.

"Would it be better if I stripped right now?" he asked. Looking at him I realized he was also only wearing a towel. It sat loosely on his hips. He rushed to my side dripping wet!