TWELVE

HUNTER MAXWELL

I was back on the top floor of Maxwell Corp. after dropping off Maxie at her apartment. Maintaining the appearance of calm on the outside was tough as I heard the word accident. I wasn't convinced that my father's death was an accident. He was in a reasonable physical condition. What caused him to suddenly die of a heart attack? Yet an earlier conversation also led to this meeting.

Steel placed the files he had taken from his backpack on the conference table. "Hunter, which report do you want to discuss first?"

"Let's focus on the important matter, the abandoned building. Did you find anything about the strange man lurking around?"

"Marcus had asked Frank if another party was interested in buying. He denied it. He said it was promised to Maxwell Corp. But he added a few conditions. He'll email us his personal request later."

Three years ago Marco had drafted a contract, but negotiations ended without an agreement. The seller had a change of heart and refused to sell. Frank Romano wasn't the original owner. The land and properties were originally owned by his rich father-in-law, Lawrence Bianco. It wasn't until after he passed away that Frank had a chance to put it up for sale.

In order to make an irresistible offer I need to figure out his weaknesses.

Ace sat down, reaching for the files. "Do you believe that swindler?"

His question was valid. It was well known in our circle that he only married Lawrence Bianco's daughter for her money.

"No, I don't. I'm sure he'll take the highest offer." I replied.

"Bastard probably thinks he's got the upper hand now." Steel walked to the minibar set up with a coffee machine and a refrigerator. "Ace, do you want a coffee?"

It was stocked with snacks and alcoholic beverages for employees, but mostly for Jax. He set up his office in the conference room to be near food. He was always more efficient at his job with a full stomach.

Requesting a minibar from the designer was a smart move. The last three days I got by with only three hours of sleep. "I'll take one too, asshole."

"I didn't offer you one, shithead." Steel made a mess of the counter. He swept both the old and new pods into the corner.

"Sure, boy, I could use a cup." Ace said, laughing at our faces. "You better make two, I want Hunter awake and paying attention. Who started the name calling again?"

"It was dad." I smiled.

"I'm Asshole and he's Shithead." Steel explained, grinning. He served us the coffee he had made placing it on the table. "Now Jax, he's a mini Asshole simply because he's been my tail since childhood."

Ace tapped a few keys on his laptop, then turned it around so that I could see the screen. "Guess where Frankie has been hiding?"

He pointed out a few photos of Frank coming in and out of a gated estate. It was a place of gambling only accessible to the wealthy. "Hunter, should we investigate further?"

I moved to the window and stared outside planning my next move. "You ready for some field work, Steel?"

"I'll get my money." Steel laughed as he walked up to me and handed me the cup.

I took a sip of the coffee and almost spit the whole thing out. I looked down and there was some brown powder floating around. "What the fuck did you put in my coffee?"

"It's mocha, shithead. I put a bit of chocolate, then mixed it all up you ungrateful bastard."

I frowned in disgust. If I pour the nasty liquid down his throat we might end up in the hospital again.