EIGHT

Maxine Brooks

Papa Jack's buzzed with excitement. I saw men lined up at the bar with each a pitcher of beer. The jukebox played too loudly, and beer was constantly spilling in all directions. I luckily avoided the flailing arm while balancing the tray. Then, I bypassed the pool table and managed to reach the next customer without tripping.

"Here you go, four beers and four Applejack's burgers with fries," I yelled. Placing all the orders on the table was challenging. I wiped down some unexplained spills and took the empty bottles.

"Thanks, sweetheart, come back soon."

Then a huge grizzly of a man with tons of tattoos came in. He sat down and barely fitted into the booth with his beer belly. I moved the table to give him more room. He winked at me twice but he was already drunk. It was creepy and hilarious.

I placed the tray on the counter and took out the mop from the closet.

When the song changed, I hummed along and mopped the floor. Shaking my hips to the beat I raised my arms...and the mop fell. It didn't matter. This was...nice. I ran out of air after dancing to one song. When it ended... I felt an unexplainable sadness.

I bent down to pick up the mop and some trash and my skirt rolled up again. Showing skin wasn't in the job description. I better not bend down again.

"Damn, sugar bunny you look tired," Tommy said, clutching his chest in horror.

He lent me his uniform earlier. The skirt was tight around my hips, but it saved me from wearing the dirty one in the staff room.

"But still pretty!" he added.

"Shut up!" I laughed. It was true that I was tired... physically and mentally.

When was the last time I slept for a good six hours? Not since Aunt Kelly died. Not since Hunter's accident. I wasn't hoping to be a millionaire, or a billionaire, but just enough money to sleep in comfort and not in a barn.

"Tips are pouring sugar bunny...what a crowd tonight!"

There were more orders so I headed back to the kitchen. Repeated it several times before Rachel blocked the door by opening her arms wide. She dragged me inside the kitchen and pushed me down into a chair.

"You're taking a break, young lady."

She shoved a greasy burger and fries with gravy under my nose. Kissing her wouldn't be appropriate. Damn, she forgot to add cheese. It wasn't poutine without gooey cheese.

"I don't think you're qualified to say...young lady," I said.

Rodney stepped into the hot, blazing kitchen. He had been grilling non-stop with most customers devouring two Applejack burgers each. He opened the back door to let in some cold air.

"Oh yes, I could use a break too," he said.

"Nope. You just had one," Rachel told him. "Here, catch this." She threw a trash bag at him, too fast, he was hit square in the face.

I laughed.

You wouldn't think they were twins. Rodney and Rachel probably in their thirties looked very different. Rachel was dark-haired, small and voluptuous, and Rodney was blond, tall and lanky. I was hired two hours into my shift after impressing them with my superior skill at...mopping.

"Who was that massive hunk earlier?"

"Let me think...can't remember any massive hunk" I said."I did see a grizzly man, lots of tattoos."

Opening the packet, I added mozzarella cheese to my fries. "You interested?" I added as I looked into her eyes.

Do not blink. She will attack if you do.