SEVENTEEN

HUNTER MAXWELL

The party was in full swing. Although the decorations were excessive, they were designed to attract a significant number of distinguished guests. Ice sculptures of sea creatures were everywhere in support of animal welfare.

I felt hot underneath my button-down shirt. Funny, the place was surrounded by ice, but maybe that didn't matter when you felt like you had stepped into hell.

After scanning the room for the organizer, a thought occurred that we should have been seated at our table. But he wasn't only disorganized, he also lacked taste when he sent out the dress code.

Whoever thought a bunch of men wearing different shades of blue was a clever idea? Many resembled a bunch of squawking peacocks mingling at dinner time. I needed my shades to block them out. And there was Maxie in the middle of the room sticking out in her awfully pink dress but still fucking adorable.

I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Frank twisting my arm into attending his event. In most cases, forcing my hand would have the opposite effect. It didn't matter, Frank's stupid games were not an obstacle to my plan. It'd work out as I intended.

"Hello dearest," Stephanie, Frank's daughter from a previous marriage stepped in front of me obstructing my view of my pink angel. I signaled Jax to take over watching Maxie. To figure out their intentions, I played along and it might just be amusing to watch.

Using a practiced move of seduction, Stephanie touched my shoulder. I stiffened when she brushed her long legs against mine. It simply made my skin crawl. Unlike Maxie, she wore a flattering strapless dress to emphasize her breasts and small waist. But it was useless. I was completely unmoved by her practiced seduction.

"Dad would like to speak with you."

"Will he keep offering the land he can't afford to keep?" I found proof the family was on the verge of bankruptcy now. This pointless discussion was tiring, but the desperation in her voice was not.

"So harsh, darling. He wouldn't mind a partnership of some sort as you well know," she said seductively.

I'm not about to swim with piranhas. "A friendly warning, don't bother talking to a loan shark, you'll sink further into debt. Take my offer and you'll still have a father to manipulate."

"Don't be a bastard," she snapped, showing her true self for once.

"Enough games. Take the offer. It's the best one you'll get." She was hinting at marriage. Did she think I was that desperate? I'd rather have sharks tear me apart than call her wife.

"Don't touch me!"

My head whipped around hearing Maxie's cry for help. Frank was shaking Maxie violently. Where the hell was Jax? He was supposed to be around in case her stalker found a way to get in.

The old man was suicidal. It wasn't enough that he was trying to manipulate me into a merger, but he was also a nasty piece of shit. 

"Take your hands off her you bastard." Frank was too furious to listen to anyone. His full rage was focused on my woman. As he tightened his grip on her arm, she winced in pain. The guests stopped to watch the scene. I couldn't get there fast enough with people surrounding them. Everyone was a passive observer. No one was helping.

"You imbecile!" he shouted at my angel.

Pointing at the broken sculpture on the floor, he screamed until he was red in the face. "Do you know how much that's worth?" he asked, breathing hard he almost burst out of his clothes.

Stephanie followed behind, grabbing my arm to slow me down. I brushed her off, and not too gently. No one was stopping me from killing her stupid, reckless father.