FOURTEEN

MAXINE BROOKS

"I will stuff your asses with tracking devices!" A loud, booming voice came out of the speaker phone. "Who thought it was a clever idea to chase after that punk?"

Jaxton received a warning glare from Hunter. He didn't need to worry, I was used to rough men and loud voices.

"Thank you, Ace. Let's chat tomorrow." Jaxton quickly ended the call. "Shit, we're in deep trouble. We should've included his goons in our plan."

I shivered from the cold. In response, Hunter held my hand tightly while walking with the men.

"It was a spur of the moment decision." Hunter said, pausing when he stole Jaxton's scarf to drape over me.

"I'm fine..." I looked apologetic to Jaxton, who shook his head, smirked at Hunter and continued walking.

"You can drop me off at Mia's instead of the hospital. She'll patch me up." Steel said, as he pulled his right sleeves up. The cut was three inches long. I'd seen more bloodshed in the last few days than I had in years. "Hey, Maxie, I appreciate you warning me earlier or I could have gotten stabbed in the stomach."

The malicious man seemed to be aiming much lower than his stomach. "No problem."

"Steel, we can't wake up my goddess." Jaxton said firmly. "It's not part of her duty. How about I clean up your wound? I'll bandage it real pretty for you." He patted Steel's chest to appease him, but Steel knocked his hand off.

"Do it," Hunter said. "Take him to Mia's place." His strides were much longer than mine. I panted trying to match his pace.

Steel walked to his truck and waved dismissively at the rest of us. Jaxton shrugged his shoulders, followed him, and sat in the driver's seat. "Ace went after those men, so I'll take care of Steel."

"You should take him to the hospital for shots." I said to the men.

"Steel's afraid of needles," Hunter whispered in my ear. "Mia will take him to the hospital and calm him down."

"Your jacket and things are in the back." Jaxton shouted through the open window of his truck.

Hunter handed me my jacket before putting his on. I quickly put mine on, so happy to be warm again. We both exchanged glances. "Ace men are efficient at what they do," he explained.

"You. You're coming with me," he added.

As if I had a choice you practically kidnapped me.

Hunter cautiously walked with an arm around my waist. His eyes scanned the dark parking area for more enemies. My adrenaline was coming down.

The dark shadows began to resemble a boogie man. A boom sounded, so I jumped and moved instinctively closer to Hunter. An employee threw trash into the dumpster, and the lid slammed shut. I breathed a sigh of relief and patted my pounding heart.

"Scared?" he laughed quietly. "We're safe for now."

"No. I'm not scared." I shook my head. Not with you around. "You just didn't give me a chance to kick their asses."

He smirked.

Insulted, I arched my brow.

"I don't think tapping their arm like you did with the drunk guy will stop them."

Probably not, but he didn't need to point that out. The men were not afraid to use weapons. They had every intention of harming us.

"You know the men?"

"No!" I exclaimed.

"Just no?" Hunter opened his truck and lifted me inside. All their trucks were high above the ground. The tires were enormous and the rims were matte black with bolt patterns.