SIX

HUNTER MAXWELL

"She'll miss this," I dangled the bag in front of Jax.

Since the day hadn't started, the office was without the constant noise of electronics. I stood behind a glass wall and contemplated what to do with the bag.

"You sound concerned. I can find the woman and return the bag."

Jax gave me an innocent smile while he made the offer. I wouldn't trust him not to mess up a simple task.

"No I'll find her," I said with a warning growl. If anyone were to look for her it'd be me.

Jax sat with his feet up on my wooden desk, arms behind his head, a picture of bliss and smugness. It only took seconds to figure out he wanted to know if she affected me.

"Down boy, your hard-on is showing. So you're into her."

He didn't need to say it out loud. She wasn't the usual opportunistic, provocative and overly confident women I'd dated before—she was different. The angel was an intriguing mixture of innocence and fire. She had dark, daring eyes and natural pink lips that were far more seductive. That was dangerous for a man who didn't need complications in his life.

Jax irritated the hell out of me.

I shoved him off my desk. When he landed on his ass, the smirk melted off his face. I knew he wouldn't stop there. He got up, moved to the couch to ramble more. "I think your hanging balls scared the shit out of her."

Asshole was asking for a serious beating.

Despite my suspicions, I wanted to kiss her. Feel those long lashes against my face. Put her between me and a wall so that she couldn't escape. But she would bite... viciously, and the thought made me grin.

"That fiery gaze was hot. Do you think she'd date me?"

Unlikely the case, unless she hit her head.

I took a seat. Tapping the pen on my desk, I waited for the laptop to turn on. There was a sense of familiarity and comfort. I was ready to sign documents and reply to a bunch of emails.

"I think she saw me with a woman." Jax added.

Hell, Steel saw him too, inside a utility room of all places with a high-profile woman at that. I instructed the security team to hide the woman to avoid unnecessary gossip.

"You snacked on one last night. Did she not satisfy your hunger?" I asked indifferently. He can forget the angel.

I checked my inbox. Marco Wall, my lawyer, sent me an email about the property.

Permission was granted to scope the area.

Jax laughed, "No. They never do."

I'd tell him to stay out of trouble, but that'd be hitting your head against a wall with Jax. He never paid attention to rules growing up. He was the fourth child, adopted from a rich family, and became an uncle of some sort through family ties. It wasn't widely known, but my aunt had him young. My grandparents adopted him, and that made him an uncle instead of a cousin by law. Spoiled by many, including me.

Never mind. I was more curious if he had any update on the woman.

I laid out her file with basic information on my desk. Her address and phone numbers were left blank. I'd have my team search for her since it'd take less time and effort. I checked my updated schedule. Steel and Jax were coming with me to the abandoned site. Then Mia should fly to Alberta instead.

"How was it found?"

"Your guard dogs said it was in your room, under your bed." Jax replied, "Are you opening her bag?"