TWO

MAXINE BROOKS

There was a purpose behind everything. The past had proven this true, but would fate ever stop challenging me?

It was pleasant earlier, a morning mist with snow melting as it touched the ground. However, when night fell, the moon disappeared and a winter storm swept in. The blowing snow made driving difficult and terrifying. It was such a cold day that even a ghost was afraid to come out.

My stomach churned for the third time. I was anxious and tired, possibly hungry. I glanced at the empty cans and crumpled wrappers beside me and there wasn't anything left to chug or swallow, no crumbs either.

God, I was an out-of-control pig. Devouring all the sweets seemed harmless, but whoever said regret always comes later was not lying. I needed coffee to flush out all the sweetness.

While driving through the ice-covered road, I thought of a nearby town, Heaven's Light. I hope the town's name wasn't a sign I'd die tonight. It was my aunt's hometown, a short visit didn't sound too bad of an idea.

Looking at my watch, it was an hour to my destination. I shifted into a more comfortable position, keeping a tight grip on the steering wheel to prevent Magda from spiralling.

Sweat trickled down the side of my face despite the cold. I wiped it off quickly. My full concentration was on the curving path ahead.

"Only an idiot would drive in this weather," I mumbled in self-disgust.

The road was empty of vehicles except for Magda. As I passed through a field of snow, a memory of my beloved aunt invaded my mind.

Aunt Kelly used to love the cold. A blizzard wouldn't deter her from building a snowman. She'd be out for hours, searching for the most suitable twigs to use as arms. Then carrying a box filled with Christmas decorations, she'd drag me outside. We'd play and laughed all night, and eat vanilla cake until we burst.

The same woman at the hospital was unrecognizable. We knew her time was short but the moment arrived too soon for me. It didn't matter that she tried her best to prepare me for the worst outcome after finding out her heart was failing.

"Don't let your guard down, Maxie," she said faintly, her grip on my hand was weak. "I hope you're always safe."

Those were her last words. The next day she passed away. For days, I went through the motions of living. But I was dead inside. I told myself I'd be fine, but I wasn't sure I believed it. I decided to leave as the constant reminders of her were paralyzing.

A deep sigh filled my lungs.

Without a doubt, there were too many things I'd rather forget tonight.

Sandra was one of them. She popped into my head like an unwanted pimple on my nose. The old lady should mind her own business. She was insane to suggest I sell my car. What an insensitive remark to call Magda junk!

Aunt Kelly worked tirelessly for months in secret. Taking extra shifts at the diner and singing at the club to afford Magda for my eighteenth birthday. I squealed so loudly when she handed me the key. So what if, from time to time, the engine made loud noises, or the heater took longer to work? I wouldn't trade the car for anything.

The truth was, messing with my car would guarantee a world of pain. I failed once when someone spray-painted a dick on Magda. But I hit back and kicked his dick for revenge. For sure, he'd have a difficult time getting it up in the future. But I wasn't unreasonably violent, he was out of it and punched an old lady crossing the street. Living on our street had toughened me up a bit.

Nervously fiddling with the volume, I turned it up, hoping it'd drown out the silence—maybe drown out the memories too. But after listening to a few songs, I shut off the radio again. It was too distracting. The road was slick with ice and in more hazardous conditions than half an hour ago.

I screamed loudly in fright as I lost control. The leafless trees passed by in a blur of motion as my car spun to the opposite side of the road. I eased the pressure off the gas pedal and stepped on the brakes. Magda came to a halt, and so did my heart.

"Fuck me!"

It was eerie and unsettling as I looked ahead. Dead branches swayed angrily on an endless road. I felt I was in a spooky scene of a horror movie.

For the hundredth time, I wished I wasn't here. Resting my head on the steering wheel I blocked out the view and took a deep breath. I shook like a stressed-out Chihuahua.

I moaned in pain when I touched my left shoulder. I wasn't bleeding it was just sore.

Breathe in. Breathe out.

There was darkness before the oncoming headlights blinded me. A truck came out of nowhere shocking me into place. I watched in terror as it veered off to avoid a collision.

I came out of the vehicle. It was silent except for the gusty wind, a dangerous mission as I ran on a slippery road. My face became numb from the cold after my scarf unraveled.

Nothing turned out right tonight.

The truck landed sideways in a ditch. It left the front totalled and the headlights broken on the ground. When I stepped on one, I almost slipped. Shit.

The driver's door was locked. My throat closed up in fear. I slammed my palm repeatedly against the frosted window, but there was no response.

I rushed to the rear door. It was open. A sigh of relief came out. I pressed down the unlock button from the driver's side and opened the door.

There he was.

The driver was huge and masculine making the inside of the truck look small. Shadows partially covered his face, but his strong jaw grabbed my attention before drifting down to his chest. He wore a buttoned-down white shirt—a stark contrast to the night. And his denim jeans were smeared with blood.

He appeared unconscious. I put my palm on his muscular chest. His heart was beating. He was still alive. I studied him carefully. We almost collided. Bloodied, wrecked and frozen on the side of the road. Imagining the worst-case scenario was hair-raising.

Tonight, I could have died a virgin.

Damn inappropriate thoughts that I mentally slapped myself.

"Please, big guy, wake up," I gently tapped his arm.

Tears of frustration blurred my vision when he didn't respond.

"What the hell am I going to do?"

Author's Note:

If you enjoyed the story, please vote by clicking the star ⭐️ at the bottom of your screen.

Please add Into You to your library if you want to be notified.

Hello 👋

Do you listen to music while studying? Or driving? Does it distract you? I've been listening to Korean music. It helps me focus. I guess Maxie needs to concentrate a little more than I do. Hehe.

Thank you for reading (っ◔◡◔)っ See you next chapter.

Love, Lia