Chapter Three

Walking into her room, papers in hand and a giddy smile on her lips, she jumped onto the bed happily. Her best friend laughed, the two were excited. Camila had just finished writing her first song. The two had been writing it for over a month now, wanting it to be perfect because she was going to be performing it at their school's talent show. Lauren had signed her up for it the beginning of the year, without telling the younger girl, but when she did, Camila was actually excited about it. She even thanked Lauren for believing in her as much as she did.

Camila knew how to play piano, which is something she grew up with. Lauren happened to play the guitar and the drums, currently learning to play the saxophone. The younger girl tried teaching Lauren to play the piano, but Lauren felt as though that should be something solely for Camila. The first time the two figured out their undying love for music, they were 11 years old and singing along to Grease, jumping around the living room with brushes and a banana in their hands. After that night, they dedicated their lives to music. They had it all planned out. Lauren was going to be the rocker drummer girl and Camila was going to be the lead singer.

Now, they were 15 and the only shows they played were at their families parties because Lauren was far to shy to sing in front of people she actually knew. Camila on the other hand, had a knack for the spotlight. Camila would perform for anyone on spot, easily singing any song she knew by heart. Lauren was happy for her though, growing up because she knew Camila would make it big someday. She knew that she'd see Camila's name in lights, people cheering her name and her songs being top charting. It was just a matter of time before it would happen.

"I seriously can't believe we just finished our first song, Lo." The tan skinned girl said, laying down. "God, it feels so surreal."

Lauren smiled, turning her head. "It's a good song. You're gonna do great at the talent show. Can I just suggest something first?" Camila looked at her, nodding her head. "You should sing it at the diner on 5th and Perkins, at Dawson's. They get a pretty good crowd on open mic nights and I know Dawson would love for you to be on his stage."

Camila blushed, "He does say that my voice soothes his entire being."

"Exactly." Lauren chuckled, shaking her head as she looked up at the ceiling. "It'll give you a chance to test out the song. I mean, I know it's amazing, but it wouldn't hurt. And I heard that Debbie is looking for a steady singer on weekend nights at the country club, I could get her to see you at the diner."

Shaking her head, the younger girl laughed. "Why don't you just be my manager in the process, Lo? You seem to be doing well at it right now anyways." She said jokingly.

"I would if I had those kind of connections, trust me." Her hand reaching into the air, she looked at her hand and fingers. "Don't you think it's crazy that someday you'll be on a stage with thousands of people watching you and I'll just be in the background writing the music?"

Her face falling, Camila couldn't help but feel bad. She turned on her side to face Lauren. "Why don't you perform with me, just once?" She asked. "At the diner even, you'll know everyone pretty much. Most of the people that go to Dawson's is just a bunch of regulars and we know them. They've already heard your singing anyways."

"No." Lauren said almost immediately. "Look, I get that you want to share the stage with me and I'm very grateful that you're not the kinda girl that wants it all to herself, but I'm comfortable with just writing the music, ya know? It's what I believe I'm good at and where I believe I belong. But you, Camz?" Reaching her hand to hold the girls chin, "You belong center stage, with everyone's eyes on you and just you."

"I just don't want you to resent me someday." Her hand taking Lauren's from her chin, intertwining their fingers together. "Plus, what about you being my drummer? Where'd that go?"