Chapter Eight

The next day, Lauren was woken up by a knocking at her door. She looked at the time to see it was only ten in the morning. So she hadn't slept for long. She pulled herself off the couch, dragging her feet to her door. She didn't know anyone was coming by, at least not to her knowledge or remembrance. And as she opened the door, she came face to face with the blonde that held a soft part of her heart.

 "Hey." Dove said in a suave tone. "I've been texting you all morning, you were a no show in class and I got a little worried. Did you drink too much after I left?"

  Lauren shook her head no, leaning her shoulder against the threshold of the door. "I was just up super late and I've been sleeping. I debated on going to class but figured I'd just fall asleep."

  "Well," Dove smiled, holding up a notebook. "I took notes for you."

  Grabbing the notebook from the blonde, Lauren smiled. "You're a lifesaver."

  Dove nodded, mentally wondering why they were still at the door. "So, um, since you just woke up, do you want to go grab some brunch? Or I can cook something for you here?"

Lauren shook her head, "I don't know if that'd be such a great idea... Um," clearing her throat she glanced behind her to see that her ex-girlfriend was still sound asleep. "I was up late last night because Camila ended up coming over and we drank some hot chocolate. We worked on a song of hers and it kept us up for a good while and she ended up passing out on the couch. She's still sleeping, actually." Using her thumb to point behind her.

Dove stole a glance in the direction and let the information settle in. "I can cook for three then." She said with a genuine smile. "Plus, I'd kind of love to get to know her."

With her eyebrows knitting together, Lauren asked, "You would?"

The blonde nodded, taking a step inside and closer to Lauren. "Of course. I've always wondered what made you so crazy about her... maybe it's time that I find out?"

"Ugh..." Feeling a little uncomfortable, Lauren shuts the door but still lets it happen. "Sure, yeah. I think she'd probably love some food to wake up to."

As Dove began to cook, Lauren went to go freshen up for the day. She was hesitant to leave Dove alone with Camila, even though the latter was still sleeping. But the student knew that Dove was a good person wholeheartedly, so she really didn't have anything to worry about. And once she came back, Dove was still in the kitchen, waiting to flip a pancake.

The transition Lauren and Dove had made from being friends to a little more was a rough patch for the two. The blonde was very clear about her feelings but she understood that Lauren wasn't all that into the idea of them being something, even if it wasn't a serious thing. Lauren was fresh out of a relationship and still very much in love. Dove had been burned immensely by her last relationship also, but was still willing to put her heart out there because she believed Lauren was worth it. Lauren didn't handle the talk too well though, after Dove confessed to having feelings for her. She ended up ignoring the blonde for a few weeks until she realized she was being stupid. Dove was a big help in her break up with Camila. Did it mean that she should give Dove a chance? No. But it meant that Dove deserved better than her being ignored. So the Cuban put on her big girl pants, broke the silence between the two and fixed things.

Dove had always known that Camila was a sensitive subject. She remembers the nights that Lauren would call at a late hour just to fall asleep to the sound of someone breathing because she'd have a panic attack. She remembers the late nights that Lauren would come over with movies just so that she could have a distraction. Or when they shared their first kiss when Lauren was too drunk to hold herself back after she was crying over how much she regretted ending it with the singer. Dove had a lot of restraint and patience when it came to Lauren. And she knew what she was getting into when it all went past the boundaries of friendship. But she would be lying if she said she was a little scared now because Camila was back in the picture and sleeping on her sort of, girlfriend but not her girlfriend's couch.