2

"I suggest you pay more attention to where you're going." Kylo Ren's voice was dark and intimidating, especially with the modulation that came with his helmet. 

You couldn't pull your panicked gaze away from the metal detailing of his helmet. While staring into the emotionless gaze of the one of the most infamous masks in the galaxy was undoubtedly nerve-racking, there was a part of you that knew you would have been scared shitless if you had to stare at his face instead. 

Every single muscle in your body was frozen as some invisible force slowly pushed you away. Once you were completely removed from Commander Ren's personal space, you nearly stumbled when he released his hold on you. You shallowly gasped, barely filling your lungs before launching into a slew of panicked apologies. "Please forgive me, I'm so sorry. I was just trying to catch up when suddenly- and then- I mean-" 

"Miss (L/N)," General Hux interrupted you, thank goodness. "Commander Ren and I would like to thank you for such a wonderful evening." He bowed his head ever so slightly, a gesture of respect that you didn't expect to come from him.

You were once again at a loss for words. Even though you had spoken to the General earlier in the evening, it felt totally different right now. Before, you knew just how formal you needed to be. You had practically rehearsed every potential conversation and interaction, but this was something you had failed to plan for. You had looked the part for the entire evening- put together, important, and refined- but now... now you looked exhausted and shocked. "Thank you, that means the world to me." Your quiet and genuine response was out of your lips before you knew it.

Hux opened his mouth to speak again, but to the surprise of you both, Commander Ren decided to speak up. "May I ask you a question, Miss (L/N)?" The voice modulator in his helmet made the harmless question seen as dangerous as the lightsaber you knew he had somewhere on his person.

You nod your head, curiosity and anxiety piqued.

"Why aren't you wearing your shoes?"

You froze... "Pardon?" You couldn't have possibly heard him correctly... Why would he have asked you about-

"Your shoes," this time, as he spoke, he stretched out a gloved finger and pointed towards the stilettos in your hand. "Why are they not on your feet?"

How in the galaxy am I expected to answer this without sounding extremely childish?!? Why did he even think to ask a question like this? Has he truly been deprived of that much human interaction?

"Well, uh-" you glanced at your feet, finally seeing just how badly blistered and bruised they were. "After standing for the entire evening, shoes like these grow quite uncomfortable and, if I'm being honest here, your trooper was walking way too fast for me to keep up with them in these blasted things." You tried your hardest to stay professional, but the part of your brain that was screaming for more than two minutes of rest couldn't care less as to how you responded.

"I see." 

With Commander Ren's meager response, you could've sworn you heard General Hux rolling his eyes rather than just seeing it happen. He tried to cover his annoyance with a smug smirk, but you could sense the artificiality of it.

"Well," Hux glanced between you and Kylo, probably trying to finish what they had actually called you here for. "On that note, we find it fitting to give you this," He extended his hand and held out a small holopad.

You hesitantly took it into your own hands and stared at it in awe and confusion. When your finger came in contact with the blue-tinted glass, it lit up. Your eyes scanned the various buttons and labels that were scattered across the screen, trying to take it all in as quickly as possible. "I- I don't mean to sound ungrateful..." That was truly the last thing you wanted, but this had to be more than just a gift. The First Order didn't just give people things- especially people that aren't essential to the war effort... "But why?"

"We would like to offer you the opportunity to showcase your music at another upcoming gala," Hux's statement brought you attention away from the holopad. "And we have already transferred your payment for tonight into your possession."

You were speechless. Another gala? Personally requested by the General and Commander? It was more than anyone could've ever dreamed of. "Of course," You said with an eager smile. "I'll start preparations immediately but that doesn't really answer-"

"The reason why we're providing you with this holopad," You were quick to shut up when Kylo Ren began to speak. "Is because we will be requesting very specific compositions of music for this event. Updates about our commissioned work will be sent directly to your holopad. This will be the main line of communication. It's much more convenient this way."

Your jaw fell slack. "A commission?" At this point in the conversation, you were beginning to think that this had all been a dream.

"Quite possibly more than one."

The added confirmation from General Hux nearly made you faint. "I'm... honored." You would have said something more appropriate to how shocked and speechless you were actually feeling, if it weren't for the fact that your vocabulary was pushed to the back of your mind. "Thank you, thank you so much."

"Knowing your reputation, we look forward to working with you. We'll be in touch." With his remark, General Hux turned on his heel and walked away. Kylo was quick to follow the General's actions, his grand cape making his exit very dramatic. You looked around, expecting to see the stormtrooper that had guided you here make his exit as well... but he was no where to be seen, so he must have left during the conversation...

And there you stood.

Alone and exceedingly giddy.

"This can't be real," you said with a bright smile as you began to walk away.

If this was a dream, you sure as hell didn't want to wake up anytime soon.