28

"No, no, no!" You slam your hand down on the music stand in front of you, obviously frustrated. "You have to watch me there. I did not- and will not- slow down. The dynamics may have changed, but that doesn't mean the tempo does!" You run a hand through your hair, trying to compose yourself. Your attention drops from the orchestra to the score on the music stand and you flip through the pages to find a suitable starting place. 

All of the members of the orchestra had arrived on Vardos, the chosen venue for the gala, just the day before. The First Order had done an incredible job in ensuring each musician was comfortably accommodated in various locations surrounding the gala venue. Somehow, you managed to wrangle all of them together last night for a messy run through of both commissioned pieces. There were plenty of things to fix, but hearing the music played by a full orchestra for the first time filled you with excitement and pride. 

With today being the first full day for rehearsing, you took advantage of every hour you had left before the gala and started rehearsal at 9 in the morning. You started the day with some of the more standard pieces- specifically the waltzes and other musical compositions that are commonly associated with dancing. Additionally, you made the decision to bring back a few of your favorites and some that you remember audiences enjoying. By the time you had compiled all the music you were planning on playing, the stack of sheet music was quite taller than you expected. You considered cutting some pieces. Ultimately, you decided that it was better to be over prepared than under.

Thanks to the quality of musicians in the orchestra that you work with (and the number returning members), there were very few things to fix with most of the pieces. Most of the issues would go unnoticed by the average listener, but they were extremely bothersome to you.

Presently, you were working through Kylo's commissioned piece. It was incredible to hear all of your dedication and work finally paying off. Sure, there were minor mistakes (rushing or dragging, one or two misplaced rhythms, imbalance between sections, etc), but that was to be expected. When the time comes to finally present both commissioned pieces, General Armitage Hux and Kylo Ren would be blown away.

Kylo...

Quickly, you shove the incoming distraction aside and refocus entirely on the rehearsal. "Okay, let's take it from the top and remember- flutes, don't rush rush 94 going into 95; don't slow down when we get to the section around 155; trumpets, I could use a little- a little more at 198 and the same goes for trombones at measure 208. Basically, remember to bring out the reoccurring theme of this section when your section has it." You flip through the pages of music, scanning for any other notes to share before starting from the beginning. "We'll take a break for lunch after this."

After coming across no notes that hadn't already been addressed, you look up from the music and out into the group of musicians, "Any questions?"

The question was answered with silence- and that was your cue to begin.

-_-_-_-_-

While all of the musicians had been given lodgings on Vardos, just minutes away from the venue and the rehearsal space, you had chosen to continue your stay on the Finalizer. The shuttling back and forth between the planet and the massive Star Destroyer was not the most desirable thing in the galaxy, but the reason for your stay made it worth the extra effort. 

It was two nights ago that you kissed Kylo Ren.  

It was two nights ago when you finally realized what Jaxen's advice meant.

Two nights ago, you finally admitted that you had grown incredibly fond and attached to one of the most remarkable people in the galaxy... and he admitted that he felt the same.