9

Today is the second day with no contact from Kylo and only 28 days remain until the gala. 

Ever since asking the dreaded question, you've been full of regret. You keep trying to force your mind away from Kylo, but you're always reminded of the mistake you made no matter how hard you try to push it from your mind. 

Maybe if I hadn't asked him to remove his mask he would have opened up to me more. That was the worst thing I could've asked him to do, and I knew that before I asked the damn question. Why did I even think to ask the question? Why would something like that matter to me? What was I even thinking- well, that's the thing, I wasn't thinking because I'm a dolt. 

"Hey, (Y/N)," Jaxen's voice pulls you out of your thoughts and back to reality. "What's going on in that head of yours? Obviously something pretty important, seeing as how you said you were leading us to a great picnic spot but we've wound up right back at your backyard."

He wasn't wrong. You had been so preoccupied by your thoughts that you had walked a complete circle for the past 15 minutes. You sigh, feeling guilty for wasting Jaxen's time. "I'm sorry, it's just... work is really overwhelming right now, and one of my clients is giving me a really hard time with his commissioned piece. I guess I just can't get my mind off of it."

"Is this the same client that you refuse to tell me more about for some super secret reason?" He raises an eyebrow, not having forgotten that you are actually keeping a secret from him (something the two of you rarely do).

"One in the same, my friend," You chuckle and turn away from your house. "Well, do you want to actually go to the picnic spot I had picked out for today? I promise not to get sidetracked again."

"Nah," Jax takes the blanket he had been carrying and lays it out on the grass right where the two of you are standing. "Let's just stay here. I've done enough walking for one afternoon, and I think it'll be fine to chat right here." He plops himself down and pats the ground beside him for you to sit as well. 

After setting the basket of food down, you sit down next to Jax. "I'm really sorry, I ruined the plan for today."

"No need to apologize. I understand that your work is stressful and I wish you could talk about it with me, but I also understand that you can't. I just want to help you relax, even if it's just for a couple of hours." Jax smiles widely at you before opening the basket and taking out some of it's contents- two sandwiches, two mugs, and a bottle of cheap market wine. He looks at the wine, then the mugs, and then at you, "Really? Wine- in mugs? Is this what you think people mean when they say a stress free picnic?"

You laugh, "Yes. This is exactly what I think. Look at it this way- mugs are much harder to break than fancy glass cups, and wine... well, wine is wine. That's all I can say about that." The two of you erupt in a laughing fit. 

"(Y/N), you are one high class woman," Jax shakes his head as he unwraps one of the sandwiches and begins to chow down. 

"Would anyone dare to say otherwise?" You open the bottle of wine and fill the two mugs with a generous portion each. "Tell me about what's been going on at the farm recently, I'm dying to hear the latest installment of Andrea and Woller. Last I hear about them, they argued over what to name the loth cat that they found and finally decided on Grandous Tryag Reighter." Your words were filled with over exaggerated rises and falls of your voice, but it made you and Jax break out in laughter once again. 

"Well, it turns out that Woller finally got the guts to ask Andrea to marry him. They've set the date and they won't shut up about how happy they're going to be together- which isn't too different than normal, but still just as annoying." Jax takes another bite of his sandwich and continues to talk, "Buh... ih turns ouh... the loth cah..." Finally, he swallows the food, "He ran away, and I don't blame him. Those two- they're crazy, and we already know this, but they dressed the poor cat up with bows and all sorts of ridiculous accessories! Honestly, I'm still confused as to how he even ended up on Beztekka." Jax continues to shovel food down his throat as soon as he's done talking. 

"I think the most impressive part of that entire story is the fact that they're finally getting hitched," You say before emptying your first mug of wine. "They've been all over each other since they met at the farm- what, five years ago? I'm happy for them."

"No, don't be happy for them- you need to pity me. I'm the sorry sack who always get's tasked with making them end their kissing sessions to get back to work. I swear, those two have scarred me for life." Jax shudders at the memory of the crazy things he's caught them doing, and you laugh at him. 

Both of you continue to laugh and joke like normal. It's great. You never truly realized how much you missed actual human interaction (because the conversations with someone who's just a blue projection don't feel like actual human interaction). Jax knew just how to help you forget about anything stressing you out, one of the many reasons why the two of you have always made such a great duo. 

"I've got it!"

"What now Jax?" 

"You need a vacation! A get away! Go where work isn't, don't bring it with you, and then you'll come back perfectly refreshed and ready to plow through it!"

Now that's not a bad idea, especially considering the fact that the last time you took an actual vacation from the normalcy of life you still lived with your parents. "But where would I go?" You begin packing up the picnic, seeing as the sun had already begun to set (which felt impossible, but you and Jaxen had been chatting the day away- quite literally as it seems). 

"Easy- Anywhere you want!"

"That's the thing, I want to stay home and work-"

"Nope, you don't. You suddenly want to take a trip to the beach veeery badly," Jax pretends to use a Jedi mind trick on you, making you chuckle. "Iloh is a great place to visit, no matter what time of year it is..."

You hate to admit it... but he's right. You need to have a total break from work. It's counter intuitive, especially with the deadline being so close, but maybe it'll help you finally finish Kylo's commission. "Alright, you talked me into it. I guess I'll force myself to escape for a while- to Iloh it is!"