20

Just as quickly as you had begun the music- it came to an end. 

"That was lovely."

Your heart skipped a beat. If that compliment had come from anyone, you'd be flattered, but coming from Kylo... you were stunned.

Lovely... 

"Thank you," you finally managed to speak. 

"Do you think-" He stops himself, choking on the question he was going to ask. You look up at him and you can see the apprehension written across his face. He looked as though he were still trying to muster the confidence to ask you something, so you chose to stay quite and give him the time he needed. 

Eventually, Kylo speaks again, but it's not a question, "Teach me." As the blunt request reaches your ears, his eyes meet yours. Somehow, even in the shadow of the night, you could see the undeniable yearning hidden within his gaze. 

"Teach you?" Honestly, you knew what he meant. Even though he hadn't said all the words, you knew what he was leaving unsaid... but you still wanted him to say it. You didn't want to make the mistake of misinterpreting his silence.

"Piano. Teach me piano," This time, he wasn't nearly as blunt or commanding. He was gentle, yet resolved. Kylo knew exactly what he wanted... and he wasn't going to let himself get in the way anymore. "Please."

Something within you melted with his request... and something else was extremely on edge. You nod your head in response to Kylo and shift yourself over to the left side of the piano bench, making barely enough space for him to sit next to you. All of your senses are on high alert as Kylo moves away from the side of the piano and towards  you. Through all the years of hearing people describe certain sensations they've felt, you can now say you know what it feels like to have butterflies in the pit of your stomach- this oddly addictive combination of anticipation, anxiety, excitement, and... everything.

It was inevitable that the two of you would touch as you shared the piano bench. You both knew to expect it. Yet, despite that, it was shocking to feel his arm brush up against yours, the side of his leg pressed to the side of yours, just... him being right beside you... a feeling you'd never forget- and he wouldn't either.

"Well," You try to distract yourself from the overwhelming emotions running through your head by attempting to actually do as he requested- teach him piano. "Let's start at the beginning- do you know anything about playing a piano?" 

With Kylo being so close to you, looking at each other was quite an intimate thing... but that didn't stop it from happening. His brown eyes were warm and gentle, something that no one would have ever expected from someone like him. "I know absolutely nothing."

"Alright, well..." After taking a moment to assess what you should go over first, you realize that there's a lot more involved in teaching someone how to play than you thought- especially when this person doesn't even know the basics of music. However... there is a way where you could just teach him a simple melody line just by example, which is a lot easier than actually teaching him how to properly play piano- which takes a while. 

"Here," You reach across him and grab his right hand, placing it on the keys of the piano, making sure to align his fingers to where his thumb rests on C. "This is where we'll start, at C." You press down on his thumb with your own and every single touch sends a shock of electricity through both of you. His hand was much larger than your own, making it slightly awkward when you tried to move his fingers around on the keys- but you managed.

As you moved his fingers and pressed down to play the simple melody, Kylo was like putty in your hands. Compared to his rough, calloused hands, yours were soft and smooth. It was obvious that he had fought wars with these hands, and a wash of anxiety washed over him. What if you hated him for the things he had done? You really didn't know who he was- what he had done... so what if it scared you away? What if you never came back?