34

The larger than life ballroom was filled with various races of people from across the galaxy. Hundreds, if not thousands, of the highest members and supporters of the First Order were all gathered together for one night. Sure, you had been to your fair share of gatherings of a similar nature, but you'd never been surrounded by so many wealthy and influential people. It was fairly intimidating.

As more time passed, more and more guests appeared. Originally, you had thought that the venue would be comically large and empty in comparison to the number of guests in attendance, but you were gravely mistaken. With guests continually entering the ballroom, you began to wonder if there was going to be enough room for them all, but there always is. They gather in small groups, conversing about assorted topics of interest, filling the room with their chatter along with their physical presence.

It was nearing the set time to begin.

The orchestra was in place and you were nervously scanning over pages and pages of music. In a matter of minutes, the concertmaster would stand from his seat and begin the final tune up. After that, everything would be up to you.

You had been thoroughly instructed on how the evening was expected to progress. Preparations would be finished two hours before guests were allowed to enter the venue. The members of the orchestra and yourself were expected to begin arriving and setting up an hour after the preparations officially finished. After that, you would have a short period of time where you could rehearse one last time (which felt shorter than it actually was, thanks to the overwhelming sense of anxiety). Then, the doors would be open and the guests could enter. A part of you thought that there should be some music when people first arrived, but you were quickly told that was not going to happen.

It was obvious that they wanted to make the entrance of Kylo and his most trusted group of generals and admirals as grand as possible, and that meant holding off on the music until after they entered the room and addressed the public. Even then, you were instructed to start with something simple and easy to converse over. Normally, you would do the opposite and begin the night with something that was new and impressive- typically a commissioned piece- but you knew better than to disagree.

At some point in the night, General Hux would approach you, draw the attention of the public, and recognize you and the orchestra. This would then be followed by the performance of his commissioned piece. Upon the conclusion of the concerto, Kylo would address the crowd. Just as with Hux, when Kylo finishes his statement it will be time to reveal his commissioned piece. For the rest of the night, it's smooth sailing. No more speeches, no more commissioned music to unveil, no more waiting for something to go wrong... but that was a long ways away from now.

Through your rampaging thoughts, you hear the concertmaster stand from his chair and bring the orchestra to attention. You hear the clear sound of the oboe. It breaks you from your train of thought and draws you back to reality.

For the time being, you had been seated off to the side, studying the music and the notes you had made yourself. You had only the commissioned pieces in hand, the rest of the music was left on your music stand at the podium. You were fairly out of the way, meaning you were out of the way of the crowd but close enough to the orchestra to be able to see everything going on. The woodwinds are first, holding out their concert A until the concertmaster signals for the brass to do the same. The low and high strings follow suite and the concertmaster finds no fault in the orchestra's tuning.

With one final skim of the music, you carefully organize your scores and file them away in their respective folders. As you stand from your chair, you can see the sea of people parting, creating a pathway that leads directly towards the raised stage that the orchestra is set on. You walk closer to the side of the orchestra and you're able to get a better view of the reason for the separation of the crowd (even though you were sure you already knew why).