8

Several more days have passed and progress is finally being made on Kylo's commission. Two pages of piano script are finished and you feel as though you're nearly finished with the meat of the music. With the writer's block gone, you've been able to rest easy and the bags under your eyes have almost left you, but due to the strokes of creative genius coming late at night you find that you stay up late into the night and wake up mid-morning.

Aside from Kylo's piece, the cello concerto written for Hux was truly a masterpiece. You were still making slight stylistic changes, but the solo cellist had already received her copy of the sheet music and you were almost ready to give the rest of the orchestra members theirs as well. Through the writing process, you found out that it was surprisingly easy to write music for someone who was almost completely absent through the entire writing process. On the other hand, Kylo was proving to be slightly a nuisance with his constant pestering for updates. News flash, no one is able to write a symphony in a day, believe it or not! He seemed to call every day, and each conversation went like the last-

"May I listen to the progress made on the music?"

"Sure." *insert you playing what you played for him the day prior but with only a few measures more*

"Blah, blah, blah- Not great at that one part- Blah, blah, blah- I thought you'd have more done by now- Blah. Blah. Blah."

And just like that, the terror would vanish and you'd be left alone to erase what he didn't like and try to rewrite something in it's place. If he wasn't so picky you'd have finished along time ago, but he just had to be Commander Controlling.

Whilst you were seated at the piano, you heard a ring that you now knew signified that you had received a message via your holopad. Setting down your pencil next to the messy sheet music, you stood from the bench and walked to your desk. Already, you were expecting some message from Kylo that would ask for you to give a report on how the music was coming along, but when you read the screen of the holopad you had a pleasant surprise. It was Hux, not Kylo, who had messaged you.

The unexpected message sparked curiosity, and you were quick to access the full contents of what Hux had sent.

Ms. (L/N),

As a courtesy to you, I'd like to inform you that all of the invitations have been sent to the guests (concerning the gala that you have been commissioned for). The officials of the First Order have decided that the event will take place on the fourth Benduday* of the coming month. I am looking forward to the event.

-General A. Hux

Quickly, you ran to the calendar you kept beside your bed and rapidly began counting the days between now and the day of the gala. You count, and count again... and count again, hoping that you were wrong. But you weren't.

Only 6 weeks- 30 days*.

If you had known this news sooner, you would have worked much harder today- but instead you spent most of the day cleaning around your house. Although you were glad to have finished all the chores that had piled up, the deadline was much sooner than you had anticipated and you realized how much work still needed to be done. You can feel the anxiety growing as your mind races to all of the tasks that needed to be finished within the end of the week so the musicians could get final copies of their music.

The scores have to be finished- which means writing at least two to three more pages of piano score for Kylo's- and then the instruments have to be assigned a harmony or melody line. Each part has to be transposed, hand written at least once, and then you have to send the music to the instrumentalists- but first you had to make sure that they would all be present. You didn't even know if you'd have your normal orchestra members. It was nearly a month, but you still didn't know if any of them had already planned to vacation or take a break on that day.