18

"You're telling me, you can fix that hunk of junk?" 

"Do you doubt my abilities?" Anyone could hear the cocky smirk that was plastered across his face, but you could see it too. The two of you had finally grown somewhat used to the other's presence, but it still felt unreal in some unspeakable way.

"Hey, I didn't know that my Supreme Leader was so handy with a ship," You put your hands up in a defensive pose, and you can't help but smile at him.

"So, what you mean to say is that you do doubt my abilities." 

"I did NOT say that!" You laugh, shaking your head at his sarcastic accusation. 

It was nearing the end of the third day of Kylo staying with you. He had woken up early in the morning and began assessing the damages done to his TIE Silencer, and it didn't look good at all...

-_-_-_-_-_-

Somehow, he had managed to get outside without waking you up- but the loud banging and the smell of burning metal immediately woke you up. 

At first, you had no idea what was going on, but Kylo soon let out a string of curses, which was an indication of what was happening. You had no idea of where he had disappeared to, but you hoped he wasn't burning anything inside of your house.

With the blanket you had slept with wrapped around your shoulders, you began meandering through the few rooms of your house. Finally, you returned to the living room (returned, meaning that was where you had slept that previous night) and looked out the glass doors that led to the back yard. In the faint light of the morning, you saw the shadowed figure of Kylo Ren moving around the damaged frame of the TIE Silencer.

You go outside, closing the door behind you, and silently walk towards him. 

"Hey!"  You finally call out, inwardly cringing at how tired your voice sounded.

Within the second, he froze and turned to face you. He saw you standing there, and from his angle... there was the soft glow of the morning light outlining you. Sure, you were wearing an aged blanket that appeared to be handmade... but he thought you were- 

"What are you doing? Why does it smell like something was burning?" You were right next to the ship now and you had to look up to make eye contact with Kylo, seeing as he was not only already taller than you, but he was also standing on a sort of stepladder at the side of the ship- making him even taller than normal. 

He stepped down from the ladder, pointing to the lightsaber that was attached to the belt that he was wearing. His hands were covered in grease and grime, obvious signs that he had been working on some of the mechanical aspects of the ship.

"I'm fixing my ship." The tone of his voice was gentle, but he was clearly focused on getting his work done. "It smells like something was burning because it was. I was using my lightsaber to cut off sections of the broken metal that are beyond the point of repair." As he approaches the side of the ship, he kicks away some of the debris that had fallen off already. 

You stand there, watching him work for quite a while until you finally speak up again, "Is there anything that you need? Anything I could do to help?"

You hear the sound of a lightsaber being ignited and then the familiar smell of the burning material of his ship. "Could you-" He pauses, grunting as he forces the weapon through a particular difficult piece of metal, "Could you hand me the piece of metal that's to your right?"

-_-_-_-_-_-

The two of you had worked together for the majority of the morning, and had finally decided to take a break- which is where you are now. Sitting across from Kylo at the small table in your kitchen, sipping tea from a small ceramic mug.

"Besides, Supreme Leader, what would give me any cause to doubt you?"

Kylo rolls his eyes at the mention of his new title, but he quickly brushes it off. "I'm also a pretty fair pilot-"

"Says the one who crashed in my backyard."

"You're never going to let go of that, are you?"

"Highly unlikely." You grin, taking another drink of your tea. "Anyways, where'd you learn all of this stuff? I highly doubt that they teach the sith how to be their own handyman." You had meant for the question to continue the playful conversation that the two of you had been engaged in, but as you looked at his face you knew that you had made a mistake.

Immediately, you saw the emotions within Kylo change. One second he was displaying the shadow of a smile and now he was as cold as ice. You could feel the regret instantaneously and you tried to say something, but he beat you to it, "I wasn't taught it as a part of my training. I learned how to fix things a long time ago from someone of little consequence." He was blunt and even though it was obvious that the question had triggered something, he was trying his hardest to control himself. 

"Of course- I'm sorry for bringing it up." You sheepishly look away from him, already knowing that an apology isn't going to remedy the change in the mood. This type of "mood swing" had happened before, and you weren't quite sure what it was that made him so upset, but you has a feeling that it has something to do with the life he led before he became involved with The First Order- especially since he kept his past so well hidden from everyone.

But you knew better than to pry. He had a right to keep secrets, as did anyone else in the universe, and you needed to respect that.

After a while, you both relax into your seats and allow for the peace and quite of the late Beztekka morning to monopolize the atmosphere. For having been such an unexpected visit, Kylo's presence felt as though it belonged here... and even though it went unspoken, you both felt it. He was still recovering and reused to leave until he was 100%- claiming that he didn't want the loyal members of the First Order to see him at anything less than his best- and you understood.

"(Y/N)?" 

Kylo's voice pulls you away from the solitude and silence of your mind, and you turn your full attention to him again. "Yeah?"

He pauses, attempting to start a sentence more than once, and when he finally does, you can tell that it isn't what he was originally going to say. "I think we should get back to work." Stiffly, he leaves the table and walks away without looking back.

-_-_-_-_-_-

AHH! A thousand apologies for being late with this new chapter! With all this quarantine business going on, I've really lost track of what day it is (I've also really messed up my sleep schedule and I think I'm turning nocturnal... but that's another story, never mind, anyways-)

 A big thank you to everyone who has been keeping up with this story! I smile every single time I get a notification about a vote and/or a comment. I hope you keep enjoying the story, and I apologize for another filler chapter- but (just like last time) some big things are happening in the next chapter!

I'll see you guys next week!

-MnM