24

Jaxen had dropped his shovel and followed you inside your house. He was definitely confused. After knowing you for so long, the slight changes in your behavior had not gone unnoticed. It all started when you had come back from a gala that was being hosted by one of the influential businessmen of the First Order. Since then, you'd become more and more obsessed with your work- and that was saying something because you had always been quite the perfectionist- but you seemed... oddly happy about it all. So, yeah. He was ready to listen to anything and everything you have to say to him. 

You take a seat on the piano bench and Jaxen takes that as his cue to sit down on the lounger. There's a moment of silence as you try to decide where exactly you should start. Of course, the beginning is always best.

"Alright, there are parts of what I'm about to tell you that you can't tell anyone else," You looked him dead in the eyes as you spoke- and his gaze was unfaltering in return.

"You can always trust me to keep a secret."

"That's exactly why I'm about to tell you all of this."

You take one last deep breath before diving into the longest rant you'd ever given, "At the end of the last gala I attended, I was approached by General Hux and Kylo Ren. They talked about wanting to commission me for an upcoming event. I said yes, without any question. They gave me a holopad- which is the most advanced piece of technology I've ever had the privilege of owning- and they were able to privately contact me whenever they pleased. 

"It started with just General Hux messaging me. We talked about all of the typical things that I would cover with a new client who wants an original piece. There was no confusion or questions and I thought that this was going to be an easy task- and then Kylo Ren contacted me. 

"He was short with all of his answers. It felt as though he didn't even talk to me about the music he was asking me to write, which was beyond frustrating. It was incredibly difficult to work with him- and he was the reason I needed that vacation to Iloh. Every night- he called me, wanting to know how the progress was coming. I was entirely too stressed in the beginning, but then..." You paused, reflecting on the evolution of your relationship with the newly announced Supreme Leader... "He changed."

Jaxen sat in silence, trying to soak in all of the information that you were spewing out. It was slightly overwhelming, but it was filling in a lot of gaps. He understood why you thought you had to keep this to yourself- they were very important people, and they tend to keep everything that they do fairly secretive.

"Kylo was suddenly... so human. He was talking about the music- hell, I haven't even mentioned that he said he liked my music. He said that I was that only composer that he can really remember enjoying," You could feel the unintentional smile creeping onto your face as you recall one of the first compliments he ever gave you. "I was starting to get used to our conversations. Every night, he would call me. Sometimes we only spoke for a short moment, but then there were night when he sat in silence and just listened to me play a variety of songs to get a good feel for what he actually wanted his commission to sound like. 

"I don't know how it happened, but eventually I summoned the courage to ask him to remove his helmet," Upon hearing this, you could see Jaxen's eyes widen in surprise and he leaned towards you, like a child eager to hear the rest of a story. 

"He refused. I was foolish to ask." He was obviously disappointed, and a part of you wanted to laugh at his responsiveness, but you restrained yourself and continued. "It was at this point that I took my short trip to Iloh. I left the holopad and everything related to work here- and my absence was noticed by Ren.

"When I returned, he was concerned as to where I had been and why I hadn't been responding to him. That night, I played him what I had of his commission but the break that I took gave me a new perspective on his piece- and he noticed. I- I couldn't help but ask again. I wanted to see the face of the person that I had talked to so frequently... I asked him to remove his mask, and he did.