~Chapter 1~

(Emily's point of View)

"Excuse me!" Shock was evident in my voice as I paced in front of my sorry excuses of parents. Now, it's not as though I hated them all the time. Nor was I ever a wild child in my teens, and they reward me with this.

"It's not that difficult to understand, Emily." My Mother's exhaustion was prominent, her voice exasperated and coming out as a sigh. 

"You expect me," I paused putting my thumbs to my chest, "to marry some random man that you," I take a deep breath to again, I had to keep calm. I pointed towards my mother, "have picked out for me."

My mother went to stand however she swayed and dramatically fell back down onto the couch. My father put his arms protectively around her before turning his eyes towards me.

"This is final." He didn't leave room for argument, his voice did not waver. His eyes dared me to challenge him, and I felt an overwhelming sense of helplessness.

"Father-" I tried one more time, but the look he gave me shut me up. I lowered my head knowing there was no way to talk him out of this.

I didn't understand why I had to be in an arranged marriage out of all their children. My older brother had never even had a meaningful relationship yet. He's three years older than me yet they don't ever push him towards marriage.

Granted I suppose that's my own own fault though, my brother isn't the heir to my father's business. I am. He wanted to pursue his dreams of being a well-known photographer, and he now owns a company named 'Ladies Man.'

My younger sister is seventeen and is going through her sassy phase. A phase which has existed for twelve years. If you can't tell there's quite a bit of bad blood between the two of us.

I retreated back to my room, slamming the door with a huff. Such infuriating people, my brother is the only sane one in this family. Having the decency of leaving the family business before our father could sick his talons into him.

In my head I knew that no twenty-four year old would act this way, I was acting like some rebellious teenager. However, most aren't thrown into an arranged marriage either, especially not in New York City... Right?

A let out a muffled sob into my pillow, I hated this feeling of helplessness. I hadn't felt like this in such a long time, and my memory of that day is hazy.

I heard a small whimpering coming from the side of my bed, a small smile made it's way onto my lips. I looked over to see my little corgi, Auburn, shaking it's whole body as it whimpered to be let on my bed. I scooped her up into my arms wanting to snuggle with her.

She, however, had other plans for our so called cuddle session. She wiggles and shimmies out of my arms, making her way up to the pillow my head was resting on. She sat down right on my head curling up around it, using my hair as a blanket. Her tail thumps against me almost as if someone is patting me on the shoulder.

I wish I understood why my parents thought this would be such a grand idea. I always did what they asked, when they wanted me to take the family business I said I would. When they told me what to major in, I did it.

This is different then them telling me that I should date a certain person, it's them saying this is who your going to love. That's not how love works, and that's not the kind of love I want. This is my life, mine not their's.

With that revelation I jumped off my bed, sending Auburn rolling down from the pillow. She growled a bit at me, unhappy that her nap was disturbed. I glanced at the clock, it was seven at night. That was fine, I knew someone who was always out this time of night.