~Chapter 9~

I sat on Nathaniel's couch with both dogs, Nate watching us with an interested gaze. He had come back to his home with this sight, after I texted him saying that I was taking the rest of the day off.

I had my phone out much to my dismay, seeing that my mother had texted me multiple times throughout the day. Her determination unwavering and her ruthlessness unappreciated.

"So, we have the new tenant my doggy day care?" Lizzie watched with an amused eye, I felt slightly guilty knowing that Auburn was quite a handful and another dog that was much larger would be even more work.

"I'm sorry Lizzie I just couldn't." She shook her head slightly with a laugh, "There is no needs to worry."

"Thank you, Lizzie, your help is appreciated." Nate smiled at her slightly, happy that she was content with the new friend.

Another text came through my phone from my mother, adding to the plethora of texts she had sent. All telling me one thing about her meddlesome behavior, and how sure she was that her ideals would come to pass.

I know you havent called Brandon yet, so I did you a favor. -M

Tomorrow is the first date between you two at that cute little diner you love so much. -M

Its at noon tomorrow for lunch.-M

Do not be late, or youll have hell to pay. -M

Understand? -M

I let out a sigh of annoyance, my eyes rolled mentally and I sagged against the couch petting Auburn next to me. Nate noticed my mood and sent out Lizzie asking if we could be alone for a bit. I cringed slightly at that word usage making it sound like we were a couple.

He walked over to me sitting next to the seat that Ray had vacated, him bounding towards Lizzie ready to play with someone. I knew he was going to ask, and while I had wanted to avoid this conversation, I knew too well that it was finally time.

"Are you going to tell me what's making you sigh like that?" He implored and I took a deep breath.

"I have to meet the man my mother's picked out tomorrow." I felt him shake his head slightly with a small laugh.

"That woman of yours is stubborn isnt she?"

"Unbelievably so, and I still haven't figured a way out." Another sigh, this one filled with sadness and exasperation, slipped past my sealed lips. I hated all this situation with every fiber of my being.

"I might have a single idea, but you won't like it." He responded his eyebrows raised and his eyes widening at the movement involuntarily, he was challenging me yet also this action gave me a clear view of his eyes.

I felt myself smile and my own eyebrows raised, "And what's your plan Nathaniel." I drew out his name slightly, silently cheering when I saw his eyes go down to my lips before snapping back up to my eyes.

"The way I see it your mother simply thinks that you have never dated, now shes forcing someone to you because she fears you never will date." He began his eyes watching mine, the blue orbs dancing with uncertainty but also amusement.

"I guess that makes sense."

"So if you had proof that you were dating someone and had been for awhile-" He began but I interrupted him my voice riddled with confusion.

"But I haven't been." He shook his head slightly still utterly amused with my situation, which infuriated me even more.

"Listen Fenice till the end, I already knew that." He pulled on my ears slightly, making sure to emphasize on the listening part. I reached over and tugged on his own ears smirking at his bewildered look.