~Chapter 20~

(Emily's point of view)

The world moved in flashes as I went in and out of consciousness, snapshots that made my mind spin throwing me back into the darkness until my next flash. Dai had been speaking to me the entire time, the last flash I had was filled with piercing screaming that gave me a large headache.

My mind was filled with memories of Dai remembering the first day I met the well polished little boy in kindergarten. He was the first friend I had ever chosen to talk to, not that I didn't love Nickie, but we were raised together we didn't' have a choice in the matter. Dai had been dropped off half an hour early with no one but the teacher to keep him company.

Flashback...

He was sitting all alone drawing something that was fairly impressive, too much for my tiny little brain to see. Everyone in our class had been in preschool together, but now there was a new boy in the class. I looked over at Nick lacing our hands in a friendly way as we headed towards the fashionable quiet boy.

Nickie and I were best friends which meant we had to hold hands wherever we went, especially when we both nodded to each other in confirmation. We wanted this quiet boy to be our new friend, so we went and sat down next to boy who had been all alone.

"Hi! My name is Nick, and this is my friend Emily!" Nick's voice was squeaky and excited, it startled the young boy right out of his seat and onto the floor. Letting go of Nickie's hand I bent down to help the frightened kid up before he ran scared from us.

"Sorry about him, he's just rather excited. What's your name?" I smiled sweetly at him happy when he took my hand to get up.

"I'm Dai, thank you for helping me-"

"Well of course, after all it was partly our fault for scaring you! Isn't that right Nickie?" I turned towards him with my eyes narrowed even though my smile still was stuck on my face.

"I'm sorry about that, I just don't like seeing people all alone. Makes me sad..." I smiled at that he always cared about others never wanting them to feel left out. Even if we didn't turn out to be best of friends he always treated people with kindness.

"It's ok, as long as you sit and color with me!" He smiled brightly climbing back into his seat while watching us expectantly, even though I knew our art skills were nothing compared to his we still sat down.

"Yeah! We can do that, though a doubt we could ever do anything like you are." Nickie laughed while sitting next to me, both of us in awe of the Dai's drawing.

"I can teach you! Trust me it's not hard at all!" He seemed to brighten up when talking about art his shields lowered just enough for us to sneak in.

"Yeah! We would love that, thank you Dai!" We chatted as he talked about shading and how hard you should press down when coloring, but all we cared about was that we had found a new friend. Nickie and I after that day talked about adding more people into our group deciding we needed to make the ultimate group of friends that we could always count on. A dream team.

"Emily!" My eyes flashed turning my five year old form into a much taller one as my name kept echoing off the walls. "Open your eyes Emily." Darkness enveloped the classroom as the voice continued to beat inside me.

End of Flashback...

I felt a softness underneath me as two large hands rested on my shoulders shaking me slightly, gently as if they were scared that they were going to break me. My eyes fluttered open bright lights flooding my vision from black to white. My ears were ringing as the voice became rapid and excited the shaking slowing down as I was brought into a hug.