Chapter 2

"Light 'em up boys!"  A dozen of firey torches flew into the wood pile, devouring it in flames.  A few boys were playing instruments, and all the gladers were scattered around.  I stood apart from them all, standing by Frypan's stand.

"Hey there, greenie," He said, eating some sort of sandwich.  "You should eat something.  Put some meat on your  bones."

"I'm ok," I said, looking for Newt and Thomas.

"No," He insisted, "Eat.  I don't have all this food here for nothin',"  He handed me a sandwich, and I let hunger win over.

I suddenly spotted Newt, and I slipped away from Fry.  "Make sure you eat that, Y/N!"  He called after me.

Newt was sitting against a log, with his back to the fire.  He looked lonely, and I was lonely, so I thought he could use some company.  "Hi,"  I said shyly, sitting next to him.

"Hey there, greenie.  Enjoying yourself?"

"Don't call me that."

"Sorry, Love," he laughed, shifting himself so he was facing me, "Just an old habit."

I looked over to a ring of boys, who were hooting and hollering.  Two stood in the middle, running at each other and fighting.  They switched out boys constantly, but one remained there.  He looked intimidating, especially his eyebrows.  

"Who's that?"  I asked Newt, turning my attention back to him.  He turned his head to where I saw looking.

He saw who I was asking about, and his expression darkened.  "That's Gally, Keeper of the Builders.  I don't normally tell greenies this, but stay away from him.  Nothin' good will come from hanging out with that shank."  He turned back to his drink, looking at the far wall.

I mimicked him, nibbling on my sandwich.  "How long have you guys been searching the maze?"

Newt choked on his drink, turning to me.  "How do you know about the maze?"

"Thomas told me,"  I answered, not quite getting what the big deal was.

"That shank,"  He grumbled, standing up.  "Gonna throw his bloody butt in the slammer for a month."  He walked off, leaving me alone again.  

I chased after him again. It was starting to feel like tradition, me chasing after him, demanding answers.  Some of the boys stared at me as I ran past, and I desperately wished that Newt would stop leaving me alone.  Ignoring them, I looked to where Newt had gone.  He stood by a stumbling Thomas.

I caught up with them, but neither of them noticed me.  Thomas held a glass similar to Newt's, but it was empty.  He stumbled around, using Newt to hold on to.  "Newwwwwt," He mumbled.  "I don't feel too good."

"Yeah, I know, Tommy.  You must have been this shucking drunk when you bloody told the greenie that there's a maze within the first fifteen minutes!"  He yelled, hitting Thomas on the back of the head.

"Oww, Newt.  You're bloody hurting me," He said, mimicking his accent.  "I only told her because I'member being the greenie, and how non-a-ya told me anythin'.  And, she's preeeettty,"  He stretched out the 'e', leaning into Newt's shoulder.

"Shuck off, Tommy," Newt mumbled so low I could barely hear him, "She's not your bloody princess yet."  He suddenly grabbed Thomas's elbow, talking in a much clearer voice.  "Let's get you bed.  You're gonna have a blast runnin' the maze tomorrow."

Thomas turned around, facing me.  "Hey, look.  It's Y/N now."

Newt's head snapped around so fast I thought it would break his neck.  "Oh, uh, hi.  Just bringing Tommy here to bed."  He rubbed his ear.  "Had a bit too much to drink."