Chapter 8

Hey guys!  I'm back.  I've been working hard to do this for you guys. 2k reads?  Holy crap.  Miss me?  

(Ps: Part of this will be in Newt's POV)

Everything suddenly went very cold. I slipped back into consciousness after my long, warm sleep. I opened my eyes to see Minho standing there, my blanket in his hand.

"Man," he said, "Newt was right. You really don't wake easily."

Newt. The name caused a flutter in my chest, reminding me of what happened last night.

Sitting up, I swung my legs over the edge of the bed. Rubbing my eye with the back of my hand, I moaned, "Oh, shut up."

Min just laughed and tossed the blanket on the floor. "Ready to run the Maze, greenie?"

"I guess so," I said, running my hands through my hair. The dusky air surrounded me, reminding me how early it was.

"Well, you better get dressed. We have a pair of shoes for you down in the pavilion." He looked down by my chest, where my shoes laid. "Running in those little worn, wimpy sneaker thingies won't be very easy."

"Sounds good." I pushed him out of my room, locking the door behind him.

After looking through my chest (which did not have a lot of options-- maybe three), I decided on a pair of green cargo shorts and a black muscle tank. It could get really hot in the glade, so I couldn't even imagine what it would be in the maze, surrounded by tall walls.

I threw my dirty clothed in the small laundry room as I made my way down the long, creaking hallway. After being here for a good month, I wasn't scared of the shifting sculpture anymore.

Outside, the Glade was cold with the morning breeze. The boys all slept peacefully in the hammocks beside the Homestead. What I would give to still be in bed. 

I spotted a group of boys underneath the pavilion. I took my time getting there, because I wasn't in any rush to get in the maze. I also wanted to save my energy. 

When I got there, I saw that the group of boys consisted of Minho, Alby, and a few other boys that I recognised but didn't know. Newt sat there too, but he didn't so much as glance at me.

"Alright, Y/N, glad you're finally here. Hurry up and get some food from Fry so we can go down to the map room." Alby turned to the other runners. "You guys can get going.  Remember to get you butts back here so you're not caught out there."  He said the last part almost comically, as if it was a joke rather than a life or death situation.

The boys stood up and ran off as I turned to Fry's counter and grabbed some of the eggs he was serving. Thanking him, I sat with them. Min, Thomas, Newt, and Alby sat there, talking about something that I frankly didn't care about. 

I was a little bothered that Newt hadn't even acknowledged me. Did he not like the kiss? Was it nerves? Did he only think he liked me because I was the only girl? 

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by Thomas pulling my plate, that I was eating off of, away from me.

"Hey," I said, "I was gonna eat that."  

He just smirked and tossed the plate to Fry.  "It's already been too long.  We've gotta get going if we're gonna have enough time to look around and get back in time."

"Fine," I huffed, crossing my arms and standing up.  

Minho tossed a pair of sneakers at me. "Put these on, greenie. You're gonna need them, as promised."

"Well girl, good luck. Take care of her, guys." Alby walked off into the glade, presumably to wake up the rest of the gladers.

They all started walking towards the exit, and I was forced to hop and wiggle my shoes on at the same time.