Chapter 5

I was in charge of watching Minho the next two weeks. It was quite boring, because I just sat there and made sure he didn't die.

Almost all of the glades had come to visit him, and I got to get to know them all. When Alby came to visit, he pulled me out into the hallway, and said he was worried, because Minho seemed not like himself. I just shook my head, and said that being stabbed by a griever will do that to someone.

I turned on my stool from the door, towards Minho. "How are you feeling?" I asked.

He just grimaced. "I think that pain medicine is wearing out."

Nodding, I got up from my stool and got the syringe ready for him.

I put the needle in his arm, and he sighed. "That's better."

I sat back on my seat, another awkward silence sitting between us. I looked at the room around us. The wood around the bed was stained red from his blood, and the white bandage around his bare chest had a small stain of scarlet.

"What's it like," Minho said suddenly, "being the only girl here? I bet it's a blast."

I sighed and tucked my hair behind my ear. "Well, it was scary when I first got here. But, by now, I'm more of a sister. I'm glad that Newt and Alby stick up for me. What about you?" I said, changing the subject. "What's it like being a runner?"

He just laughed, then grabbed his side in pain. "Ugh, remind me not to laugh." He put his hand down, then raised his head to me. "Well, I don't know how much I can tell you, but it's not easy, I'll tell you that. And it takes a lot of determination. You should be glad you're in the glade. I would trade my job for something else. Being a runner is stressful."

"It sounds stressful." My eyes then drifted out to the window, where Newt was working in the fields. He stood up and walked over to the water pump, and I noticed his limp yet again. "Minho," I said, looking back towards him, "Why does Newt limp? Was there an accident or something?"

His expression darkened. "Ask him yourself, Y/N," he said in a rough voice, and the mood in the room got a lot more negative. He didn't say anything else, and another awkward silence settled between us.

After sitting quietly, I spoke up. "I'm sorry," I said quietly, "I didn't know that it was that... tough to talk about."

Minho ran a hand through his hair. "Well, there's probably a reason Newt doesn't go preaching about it to all the gladers." He sighed and dropped his hand. "If Newt wants to talk about it, he will, okay? You guys seem pretty close."

I nodded, and hoped he was right.

~~~~

The rest of the day crawled by. Minho and I exchanged some small talk (which I quickly found out I hated), and I gave him his medicine when he needed it. Thomas stopped up in the room after he got back from running.

"Yeah, I was helping Fry in the kitchen today," Thomas explained, laughing. "And I accidentally put cinnamon in the stew instead of cumin. Fry almost kicked me out of the kitchen with his big boot and then made me start from scratch."

Newt laughed, looking at me. It was dark outside, and the boys had mostly gone to bed. Thomas, Newt, Minho, and I all sat in the Medjack's room, which was lit by a flickering lamp.

"Well," Newt started, stretching in his seat, and scratching his face, "I successfully filled the water yoke and walked all the way back to the gardens without falling." He grinned and looked at me, patting my knee.