Chapter 10

This would be the time that I would wake up, but I barely slept a wink all night. Today was the day. The day we would escape.

I had ran the maze yesterday, and we had decided that there was no doubt that that was the way out.

Seeing no other option, I got up and got dressed. I took a look at my room one last time before leaving. I would never see it again. Even if we didn't get out, we would all die anyways.

Well, I though to myself, a good, cheery though to start the day out right.

Normally, there would only be butterflies in my stomach, but today, they were angry moths. I knew I wasn't gonna be able to eat anything without it turning right around.

I made my way to the kitchens, and smelled a variety of food. Fry must've been cooking up all the extra food to give us one good last meal in the glade.

Sitting down at our table, I noticed that all the boys were buzzing. I thought it was kind of weird. I'm scared, but they seem excited.

"Hey, Love. You okay?"

I was so caught up in my own thoughts that I didn't even notice Newt sit down by me.

I shook my head. "Yeah, I'm just nervous." I paused for a second, looking at the menacing maze doors. "Actually, nervous is an understatement. More like terrified."

He just looked at me. "You and me both."

I turned and grinned at him. "You're supposed to tell me that it's all gonna be okay. That's not helping."

He laughed lightly. "Well then, Y/N, I can one hundred percent guarantee that it will all be okay." He raised an eyebrow at me. "Was that any better?"

"So convincing," I said, laughing.

We sat in silence for a few moments. Newt picked at his full plate of food, and I picked at my nails.

I asked him about something that had been bothering me for a while. "Newt, what do you thinks out there, beyond the maze? What if there's nothing?"

He placed both his hands on my shoulders, looking me square in the eyes. "Y/N, I can promise you that there is a place for us, both of us. Hopefully together, but maybe not. We will get out of here, but I don't know what's out there. I don't know what it's like outside these walls. But, what I do know is that we will be free. We'll get to be happy and free, okay?"

I nodded, and he dropped his hands. I looked at the ground. He placed a hand on my leg, and one on my chin, making me look up at him. "Hey, we will be okay. I promise."

I just raise an eyebrow at him.

"For real this time."

I grabbed his hand that was on my leg and held it as a life-line. He turned back to his meal and kept eating with his other hand.

Even though I was still nervous, the angry moths started to go away. As they left, they were quickly replaced with hunger.

Noticing the large amount of food on Newt's plate, I snatched the muffin that was in his hand and quickly ate it.

"Hey," He said, looking grumpily at me, "I was gonna eat that."

"Too bad." I teased.

"I already bit out of it though," he pouted.

I just licked my finger. "So?"

He shook his head and continued eating. I stared at him for a few seconds expectantly.