Chapter 3

Believe her?  What did that mean?  Since I was the only girl, I'm guessing that they meant me.  What did they need to believe me about?  

I put the note on the small table with the lamp on it, so I could show it to Newt and Alby in the morning.  They would know what to do about it.  More than me, anyways.

Grabbing a set of softer clothes, free of sweat, blood, and dirt.  I slipped the gray sweatshirt over my head, and shimmied on my black, skinny cargo pants.  Apparently the people that sent up here didn't believe in pajamas.  I don't even know how I remember what pajamas are.

The bed wasn't the slightest bit comfortable, but I was better than sleeping on the ground, or out there with all of the boys.  It creaked as I got comfortable, shifting under the weight of me.  I tried to push the thought that I was in an unstable structure built by teenage boys.  That didn't help me sleep at all.

Although I tried to drift into sleep, the note kept me awake.  Believe her.  Believe me about what?  I knew just as much as any of the boys here.  Maybe these shuck Creators should stop being Mr.  Mysterious and actually give us a straight answer.

Did I just say shuck?  Only a day here and I was already using their creative words.  Maybe I'll fit in here after all.

~~~~

"Y/N!  Y/N, for the last time, it's time for breakfast!"  A british voice echoed through my room, jolting me out of my peaceful slumber.  He fumbled with the door handle, though it didn't do anything, because of the lock.  "Shouldn't have given her this bloody lock,"  I heard him mumble.  "Y/N!  Let's go.  You're trying out for your jobs today!  I'm gonna keep yelling until you unlock this shucking door!"

My feet made a dull thud as they hit the wood floor, and creaked under my weight.  "Comin' Newt.  Calm yourself."  I mumbled.  I fiddled with the lock, the way the he showed me how.  It finally clicked, and Newt appeared on the other side of the door, leaning up against the far wall with his arms crossed, his eyes closed.  "Newt," I said, and his eyes snapped open.  "Weren't you the one yelling at me to be awake?  Now you're dosing off."

He stood up straight, a slight smirk tugging at his mouth.  "Well, you were taking so buggin' long I'm surprised I didn't have to dig my own grave there."

"Whatever."  He started to walk down the hallway, and I followed him.  "So, what jobs am I doing today?"

He looked over his shoulder at me.  "Well, first, you'll be working in the fields with me and Zart until noon, then Med-Jacks, and finally, cooks."

Down in the glade, the boys rushed around to a small pavilion that also looked unsteady, built from straw and hay.  A few boys, however, ran in the opposite direction, towards us.  "What are they doing?"  I asked Newt.  "Why aren't they eating breakfast with us?"

"Well, you already know what a runner is, thanks to Thomas.  They're the runners.  They wake up earlier, and eat before us.  I eat with them, because being the vice ruler of this place comes with its responsibilities.  They're going out to section two today.  That's from the East door."

As the group ran past, Thomas slugged along behind them.  I recalled last nights events, with him being drunk and calling me pretty.  The memory of it made me blush, although I felt no attraction to him at all.  And I mean AT ALL.

He ran by, his face pale and his moves slow.  "Having fun, there, Tommy?"  Newt catcalled, making Thomas stop.

"Newt, I don't feel great.  I don't know if I'm up to running a full day in the maze.  Could I stay behind and help in the fields or something?"  He glanced at me quickly, then back at Newt.