Chapter 4

(A/N: Gets a little gory ahead; not much, just a lot of blood.  Also a semi-vivid description of a gory accident.  Don't read if you get squeamish VERY easily)

It's been five days since the episode.  I tried out for a few different jobs, but I ultimately got to be a Med-jack.  When I tried out for Slicers, I threw up, and when I was trying out for Builders, I nearly cut my finger off. 

Thankfully, I didn't mess anything up while helping, and Clint and Jeff said that they could use an extra pair of hands.  I successfully patched up a couple slicers, and a few builders. 

And, the boys had finally begun to warm up to me.  They treated me more as a sister than a potential girlfriend, which I was very thankful for.  Newt and I were getting closer, along with Thomas.

Today was a slow day, with only two patients.  I ended up organizing the supplies, which were very messy.  I sighed and tucked my hair behind my ear, satisfied with my work.  I looked out the window, and expected to see a peaceful glade, with all the boys at work.  But the boys were all gathered in around Thomas, who seemed out of breath, and seemed to be explaining something.

Before I had time to react, the door burst open.  I reeled around, startled by the sudden outburst.  Three boys stood there, two supporting the middle.  I quickly realized that it was Minho, the Keeper of the Runner, supported by Newt and a boy that I didn't know.  They laid him on the bed, Minho gasping and clenching his teeth. 

His shirt was bright red with blood.  His arms and fist were constricted, and he was obviously in a great deal of pain.

The scene was chaotic.  Minho was making a great deal of noise, and he kept moving around to try and make himself comfortable.  That only caused more blood to sprout from his chest, and loud cries from him.  Alby, along with a few other boys, ran up to the door, out of breath, as Newt searched through the drawers, cursing loudly.

"What happened?!?"  I yelled, overwhelmed at everything.

"Got stabbed by a bloody griever tail.  Bloody hell, Y/N, where's the shuck pain reliever?"

"Next drawer over.  The syringes are in the cabinet by your head."  Newt moved with lighting speed, getting everything set up.

I turned my attention back to Minho.  I grabbed a knife and sawed his shirt away, so I could see the wound better.

Holy shuck, it was bad.  There was a large puncture wound near his right side.  Minho had already passed out from the blood loss, and losing much more would be fatal.

Newt was suddenly by my side.  He stuck the syringe in his arm, and within seconds, Minho's face loosened up.  The blood coming from the wound was still heavy, though. "I'm no bloody medjack, but this does not look good."

"Ya think?"  I said, as Clint and Jeff burst through the crowd at the door.

"Sorry we weren't here sooner," Jeff said, taking in the scene.

Clint was already grabbing the supplies he needed to patch up Minho.  "We heard what happened.  This won't be an enjoyable thing to do, believe me,"  He set the tools on the table and turned to Newt.  "Can you clear them all out?  Too much ruckus to do this right.  You and Alby can stay though."

"You heard the man,"  Newt yelled at the boys, "Get outta here.  Minho will be fine."

Mumbling, the boys wandered away, leaving Alby there with us. 

All he said was,

"This is not gonna be fun."

~~~~