0 0 | e v e l y n

How He Fell has made it to the second stage of voting for the Readers Choice Awards. Please please please go vote for the book and show some love! I beg you!

Song of the chapter: Hurts like Hell by Fleurie

☙❦❧

EVELYN wasn't sure if she could differentiate between the sound of a punch to the face or the harsh hit of the rain against concrete. Not anymore at least. But still, the water soaking her petite figure was comforting. She was drenched, but she felt more touched than ever before.

Not sure when the last time she felt someone hug her, she felt tears prick her eyes.

Blinking them back, she took a deep breath and continued to trudge her way to the abandoned building in the severe storm. If one were to see her form, they'd most likely scurry away in an attempt to leave the black emptiness that followed her everywhere she went.

She doubted the personified mind game would ever leave her alone.

She felt blind, walking aimlessly. She felt lost, knowing she was forgotten. She felt tired, crying only so much before her body couldn't handle the shaking. Every single day went by the same and Evelyn was afraid of what would happen the moment even one thing changed.

What if her mother responded to Evelyn's words? Instead of leaving them in the air, as if she never heard. What if the man she wished to call father would acknowledge her when she woke up extra early to see him off for his business trips? Instead of leaving a tender kiss on her mother's cheek and gently hugging her sister, ignoring Evelyn completely.

What if Evelyn smiled? She had a feeling the look wouldn't suit her. Her lips had forgotten the genuineness of smiling after not having it truly adorn her features for the longest time. Evelyn wasn't sure if she liked the thought of being forever unhappy. It wasn't a constant in everyone's life, but it was in hers.

And she knew that it would be a long time before something would bring her a happiness that made her smile. One is born into the world in an aura of happiness. But Evelyn knew she was different. Sure, the doctors cheered, but that was it.

Her mother stayed quiet and looked up at the man who stood in the dark corner of the hospital room. Before she knew what she was doing, she pushed the doctor's arms away who motioned for her to hold Evelyn's tiny body.

The man in the corner was a presence that most of the nurses found uncomfortable.

Looking over Evelyn for a second, a sound of hatred left his mouth. He growled and looked back at her mother.

"Wouldn't you like to hold the baby, Sir?" a nurse questioned him. The nurse's hands shook subtly as she held the newborn out in front of the menacing man.

Grunting, he shook his head. "She's not mine nor will she ever be."

The mother didn't say a word as the nurse looked back at her. The nurse's eyes were wide with a question and pleading for the woman to take hold of the innocent being.

And you?

Evelyn's mother immediately rejected the possibility of holding her baby. Because everyone knew.

Evelyn was a bastard child.

☙❦❧

I wrote this at night listening to a sad Spotify playlist.

Goals.

So, let me know what you think...your opinions are valued.

If it really shined in your eyes, consider giving a vote!

But only if you want to.

~ Shay