1 0 | a n s w e r s

How He Fell has made it to the second stage of voting for the Readers Choice Awards 2020. Please please please go vote for the book in the Teen Fiction Category and show some love! I beg you!

Song of the chapter: Waves by Dean Lewis

☙❦❧

MADDOX jumped slightly as his mother's voice filled the quiet void.

"Hey darling."

Glancing to his left, a smile appeared on his face seeing his mom. He gently hugged her before planting a kiss on her cheek.

"How are you? How was your day?" she asked.

Shrugging, he started walking to the kitchen. "Meh. It was boring as usual."

His mom rushed to catch up, but her frail body refused to help her out.

"Why don't you rest mom?"

"What a nice suggestion! Why didn't I think of that," she commented rolling her eyes.

He scoffed before helping her into the wheelchair beside them.

"Then why didn't you?" he questioned.

"I wanted to see my son before going to bed. Is that so wrong," she playfully scolded.

He sheepishly smiled.

"So," she started, "Why were you so late? It's 1:00 a.m."

"Diner," he mumbled.

"Well that can't be all Maddox. I can smell the perfume on your clothes," she said wrinkling her nose. "I won't say anything, but please just warn me if you might accidentally provide me a grandchild at this age."

"Mom," he groaned.

She threw her head back laughing. "What? I still haven't had the 'keyhole and doorknob' talk with you yet, but I should before you take it to the extreme."

"Don't worry," he bitterly muttered, "I know everything I needed to know when I saw what he did to you."

She froze.

"We don't talk about that," she snapped.

The playful banter had diminished to becoming a serious silence.

He combed his hands through his hair, clearly frustrated. "Of course. I forgot."

His mom nodded before sighing.

"So who was the girl?"

"There was no sex," he said trying to clarify her accusations.

"Don't worry I believe you."

"I went to the diner after my fight and talked with someone until they eventually fell asleep," he said.

"Ooooohhh," his mom replied wiggling her eyebrows. "Sounds boring," she said turning serious but the smile on her face suggested differently.