Chapter 2

"You're home," Talia said. She sat at the table across from her mother who was reading some papers. "Interesting case?" Her mother was Elaine Hudson, a famous lawyer.

"The one last night was," her mother said. She leaned over the table toward Talia. "I can't tell you details except that we won."

"Cool," Talia said. "Not that I'm even surprised. I can't remember the last time you lost one." She checked her sugar again. It had been a little high that morning and she had taken a correction. It was good now so she took a bolus then went to give Juniper her breakfast and get her own.

"I have a new case. This one I can tell you about since you'll hear about it sooner or later."

"Was it on the news?"

"Everyone knows about the dispute between the Taylors and the Rogers and the fight for the company and with Richard's death, the fight is only going to get bloodier."

"Whose side are you on?" Talia asked. She sat down with a bowl of cereal.

"The Taylors' obviously. I can't fight against Nora. She'd never let me live it down," Elaine said. She chewed on her lip. "Things might get a little complicated." She shook her head and smiled. "I was just waiting on you to come down before I leave. I have to leave early so Mrs Wilson will drive you to school."

"I have my license," Talia said. "Dad even gave me a car that no one ever lets me drive."

She kissed Talia on her forehead. "I'll see you later."

Talia finished her breakfast in time for Mrs Wilson to drop her to school. It was still early and there weren't many people. The classrooms were opened early as well as the cafeteria for those who lived on dorm. Nicolai was waiting on her outside the building. He was eating something that looked like bread. He straightened when he saw her and so did Juniper when she saw him. Her ears perked up and her tail started to wag.

"We're going to have to talk about your taste in men," Talia said softly. Juniper ignored her.

"Good morning," he said. He held out a bag. She took it from him.

"What is this?" she asked looking inside.

"Breakfast. Calzone," Nicolai said. "My mom made plenty and left them in the freezer. You said you didn't want money so consider this my payment. It's vegetarian. My mom wanted me to eat healthy while she's gone and I wasn't sure if you eat meat."

"Nicolai—" she started.

"Oh, I almost forgot." He took out a folded piece of paper and handed it to her. "She always makes it from a recipe so this was easy to get."

She opened the paper. "You calculated the carbs."

He looked a little worried. "That was what I was supposed to calculate, right?"

Talia chuckled. "Yes, you got it right." Having a service dog meant that everyone at the school knew she had diabetes. Her medical bracelet helped for when she didn't have Juniper. She really did not want to take it but he looked so excited for her to taste it that she couldn't say no. She just hoped she wouldn't be paying for this decision later.

He smiled. "That's good. You should try it. I can live off these things." He scratched the back of his neck. "Um, you're not allergic to anything, are you?"

"Not that I know of. I'll try it later. We have work to do."

"Don't take too long or it'll get cold and soggy," Nicolai said.

They went into the classroom. Two girls were already seated at a table in the back. They looked up when Talia and Nicolai entered.

"Nicolai will be joining us from today," Talia said. She sat at the table and Juniper flopped onto the floor next to her.