Chapter 15

Talia sat cross legged underneath the tree. Her eyes were closed and Juniper's head was on her lap. She had half an hour left of lunch. That was more than enough time.

She went through everything she knew about the case in her mind, from the people involved to the events that happened. The thing that was bothering her the most was that neither she nor Jigsaw could find anything Craig Rogers did that would justify murder. Nicolai said that the papers had evidence of someone using good drugs to do bad things but going over his email and phone records, that didn't seem to be the case. Jigsaw had messaged her about suspected insider trading and, while illegal, that didn't justify murder. Something else was wrong with this picture. There was a huge chunk missing right in the middle.

"Talia, I can't finish all of these questions," Nicolai said.

"Don't interrupt me until you have completed your punishment work," Talia said, without opening her eyes.

"How do you expect me to do all of these? There are at least fifty questions here."

"I'm sure you'll figure it out. I already showed you how to do them and since you're complaining about the amount of work and not the work itself, I take it you remember my lessons. Pen to paper. Mouth shut."

He grumbled something under his breath in Italian. She could hear him tapping on his calculator.

Her phone beeped.

Jigsaw: I got a picture of a man in a suit tampering with Nora Taylor's car. Recognize him?

Ted Lawson: Yes. Good work.

It was one of the men she'd seen with Craig Rogers. That was enough for her mother to demand they open an investigation.

Ted Lawson: Where's the car?

Jigsaw: It was in the pound but then her son had it taken out. I don't know where he took it. I still haven't figured out where the money came from. I think it may have come out of his own pocket. He sold a yacht recently.

Ted Lawson: For how much.

Jigsaw: Three million.

Ted Lawson: How big was the yacht?

Jigsaw: 40 feet.

Ted Lawson: That's where he got his money.

Jigsaw: Three million is high for a yacht but not that high.

Ted Lawson: For that size yacht it is. The most I've ever heard for a yacht that size is three hundred thousand. Who did he sell it to?

Jigsaw: Let me check.

Jigsaw: That's strange.

Ted Lawson: Let me guess. He sold his yacht to his son-in-law.

Jigsaw: Yeah. How did you know?

Ted Lawson: Lucky guess. He's covering for someone. Was there any drugs missing from storage?

Jigsaw: There was a robbery a few months ago. They caught the guys but didn't recover the drugs.

Ted Lawson: Now we know where they went.

Jigsaw: Want me to find out who he's covering for?

Ted Lawson: No need. It's not a court hearing. Once the other board members get suspicious, they should postpone any major decisions until a proper investigation is conducted, especially if it involves attempted murder. The police should be able to piece things together with what we have. Just send me everything you have. I should be getting the rest tonight.