Chapter 17

"What do you mean Nicolai's in trouble? How do you know that?" Bryce asked. He was panting trying to keep up with Talia.

"The pictures get blurrier and more unfocused as they go and the last one was unreadable," Talia said. She dodged a man trying to pick up his wallet from the floor.

"That doesn't mean he's in trouble."

"He's in trouble. I can feel it." She dialed a number. "Yeah, Jigsaw, I need you to find someone for me."

"It's late and I told you not to call me unless it's an—"

"Now, Jigsaw. I'm sending you the number." Talia sent it to her. "Find him yet?"

"I'm working on it." There was typing in the background.

"Who's Jigsaw?" Bryce asked, huffing.

"A friend. Did you find him yet?"

"Yeah. He's moving up Green Street. I think he's in a car."

"Bryce, I need to borrow your car," Talia said. They burst out of the mall. It was dark. She ran towards his car. "Give me the keys."

Bryce thankfully didn't ask anymore questions and just tossed her the keys. She got into the driver's seat. He barely had time to strap himself into the passenger seat before she took off. Bless these rich boys with their expensive cars that had powerful engines.

Talia put Jigsaw on speaker and put it in the holster Bryce had near the steering wheel. "Where are they now?" she asked.

"They turned left onto Crenshaw Street," Jigsaw said.

"What kind of trouble is Nicolai in?" Bryce said.

"It's probably better if you don't know," Talia said. She didn't think Nicolai would want him to know that he was a thief.

"Turn right onto Main Street," Jigsaw said.

Talia didn't turn.

"What are you doing? I told you to go onto Main Street," Jigsaw said.

"Just keep telling me where they're going," Talia said.

"You know where they're taking him?" Bryce asked.

"Why do you assume someone took Nicolai?" Talia asked. She had to stop at a red light. She tapped her fingers on the wheel.

"Because you wouldn't be this worried if that wasn't the case," he said.

The light turned green and Talia sped off.

"What kind of trouble is Nicolai in?"

"Where are they now Jigsaw?" Talia asked.

"They stopped... right where you are," Jigsaw said.

Talia parked the car behind some trees and got out.

"How did you know they would be there?" Jigsaw asked.

"Because, like animals, humans run home when they're afraid. I couldn't be sure though. That's why I had you track him."

"Amateurs. They should have left his phone back at the park."

"Talia, why are we at Mr Rogers' house?" Bryce asked.

"Because Mr Rogers has been a bad man and had Nicolai somewhere inside." She handed Bryce Juniper's leash. "Get in the driver's seat and be ready to drive."

"What?" he asked. "Talia."

"I don't have time to explain. Just trust me. Juniper, stay," Talia said. The dog whined. She rubbed her head. "Sorry girl. I can't take you with me. I'll be back soon." She closed the door and went closer to the house, staying in the shadows. Craig Rogers no doubt had a security system but she had to hope he was too preoccupied to arm it once he'd gone inside.

Talia went to the side of the house where it was darkest and climbed over the wall landing in a crouch on the other side. She heard a growl. She turned around and saw two glowing eyes. She didn't stay to see anymore. She took off running to the house. The dog barked at her and chased after her. She heard more barks. She'd never run so fast in her life.

She scanned the house for a quick entrance. There was a slightly opened window to her right. She made a sharp turn and ran straight for it. She dived in and slammed it closed behind her. The dogs tried to get in. They barked and barked.

Talia sat on the floor and tried to catch her breath. She really hated field work and she was still wearing her school uniform, which had a skirt and tie, two things and did not help in a clandestine mission.

Once her lungs had stopped burning she stood and looked around the room. She was in an empty guest room. It was clean but it smelt as if no one had used it in a long time. No time to ponder that. She had to find Nicolai.