Chapter 4

"How's the case going with the Taylors?" Talia asked.

Elaine swirled the spoon in her cup of coffee. "Not good. I only glanced at the contracts yesterday because I had to go to court but Nora and Phillip will be coming to see me today to discuss our course of action."

"I hope they get the company. Richard and Nora worked really hard to build it."

"Yes but he did sign a contract and with his will gone, even his houses and apartment, everything might go to Craig. I'll try my best but it's not looking good."

Talia scrolled through her phone. Elaine looked at the screen.

"Since when are you into photography?" she asked.

"I'm not. I just want to know how much those bratty kids have to pay."

"Talia, I can always buy you one. There's no need to fight."

"That might not be the case this time," Talia said. She told her mother what happened with Nicolai.

"So they just broke his camera for no reason?" Elaine asked.

"No. They had a reason. They knew how much he liked that camera. That's why they broke it." Talia's grip on her phone tightened. "I hate people like that. You should have seen the look on his face."

"Those are the kinds of people who light ants on fire with a magnifying glass. Psychopaths."

Talia smirked. "Says a lawyer."

Elaine tapped her on the forehead. "There are far worse people in the world than lawyers."

"Don't I know it," Talia muttered.

"What?"

Talia shook her head. "Do you still think I shouldn't fight?"

"The rule is no unnecessary fighting. Just try not to kill anyone," Elaine said.

"I make no promises."

Elaine laughed and kissed her forehead. "I'll see you this evening."

"I'm coming to your office. I want to see Phillip," Talia shouted after her.

"I'll let him know you're coming."

When Mrs Wilson dropped Talia off at school, Nicolai was already waiting on her in the classroom. Juniper's tail started wagging again. Talia couldn't understand why she liked him so much when he barely paid her any attention. He held out another brown bag.

"Burrito," he said.

"You don't need to do this," Talia said. She didn't even like burritos and her mouth was watering at the smell.

"I know but you have to taste this. I've eaten three this morning."

She reached into the bag and took out another slip of paper with the carbs written on it.

"You're pretty good at calculating this. I had no problems yesterday." Unlike when she went to stay with her grandparents when she was ten and ended up in the hospital. Not something she enjoyed and why her parents still wouldn't leave her alone with them even though she was seventeen.

"Bolus from now so you can eat it before class," Nicolai said.

"When we go inside. We still have math to work on."

"I memorized the rules."

"Good."

Maya and Hadley hadn't reached as yet.