Chapter 16

A/N: Sorry for the long wait. Here's another chapter.

Bryce was waiting on her outside her class when school finished. He had driven to school that day so they wouldn't have to walk all the way to the mall. The space inside his car wasn't nearly as small as she'd hoped it would have been. Curse these rich boys with their need for fancy cars with plenty interior space. What ever happened to those small, economic cars that allowed for many opportunities for accidental touches?

Talia wasn't exactly sure what to expect. On TV, dates were always dinner and a movie but she didn't think that applied here since they were going to the mall. They went to the arcade first. Talia hadn't been there in months and they had new games that she and Bryce spent an absurd amount of time and money on. He kept checking his watch and when it was getting close to four thirty, he took her to one of the stalls and bought some popcorn and other snacks then led her to the center of the mall where there was a stage and chairs spread out. There were other people already sitting but most of them were children.

"They're having a puppet show here today," Bryce said, blushing a little. "It's childish I know but they're always fun."

Talia chuckled and took one of the bags of popcorn. "I love puppet shows," she said. Juniper looked at her. She ignored the dog. She wasn't a huge fan of puppet shows but something told her she would be enjoying this one a lot and it wasn't just because she was with Bryce. Everyone around her, even the adults, looked excited to see the show.

Once they had laughed so hard at the show their faces were red and they had to catch their breaths, they headed to the cafeteria for a quick dinner then took a walk around the mall. Juniper was acting strange and kept pawing at her leg but Talia just assumed it was the new environment with plenty people and rubbed her head when she did. Bryce was even funnier outside of school.

"I really wanted to buy you something before our date but I wasn't sure what to get," Bryce said. "You're a hard person to shop for."

Talia took his hand. "I think having a good time is more important."

He smiled and squeezed her hand. "I still want to get you something so that you can remember the good time."

She tapped her chin. "Hm. What do I want?" She shrugged. "I can't think of a single thing." She spotted something. "Let's take a picture then."

"A picture?" Bryce asked. He saw the photo-booth she was pointing at. "I've never used one of those."

"My parents love them. Come on."

They went inside. It took a few moment for Bryce to feel comfortable but soon they were making weird faces at the camera and even Juniper got in a few of them.

Bryce took one of the sheets and handed her the other. "I don't think you could have chosen a better souvenir."

Talia's phone rang. "Give me a moment."

It was her mother.

"Everything alright?" Elaine asked.

"We're still at the mall."

"When do you want me to pick you up?"

"Bryce says he'll drop me home."

"Hm. Call me if anything and don't forget to take your insulin," Elaine said.

"Okay Mom," Talia said. She hung up the phone. It was only then that she felt a slight headache and noticed that her mouth was dry. How could she forget to take the insulin?