Chapter 13

Talia couldn't sleep all night. The deadline, the date, and the fact that she hired a thief were all weighing on her mind. She kept trying to convince herself that hiring him was for the greater good but that wasn't working. In her semi-conscious state, she did manage to figure out how the thief managed to avoid the cameras and get into the apartment, sort of. Something else was nagging at her but she was too tired to try to hold down that thought.

She stumbled down the stairs to the kitchen.

"'Morning," Elaine said.

"Good morning," Talia said. She gave Juniper food and water then fell into a chair at the table.

Her mother looked worried. "Bad night?"

"Yes." Talia rested her head on the table. "I have a date today." She could feel her mother relax. Nerves for a first date was far better than high or low blood sugar.

"It will be fine and you'll be at the mall. If you start feeling sick you can call me or Mrs Wilson and we'll be there in less than five minutes."

"I feel sick now."

She had just over twenty-four hours until the meeting. Would Cypher come through?

"Eat some breakfast. I want you to be too full to eat any more calzones from Nicolai," Elaine said.

"You already told him not to bring any."

"Yes but teenage boys aren't known for listening to the parents of the girl they like."

"This one is. He insists he doesn't want to get on your bad side so he won't bring anymore," Talia said.

"Now I really like Nicolai. He's a smart kid," Elaine said, smiling. "But you still need to eat something."

Talia raised her head. "Could you make waffles for me?"

Elaine glanced at the clock. "Yeah. I think I have time for that. Berries or chocolate chip?"

"One of each."

"Coming right up."

Talia watched as her mother mixed the batter for the waffles.

"It isn't that I don't want you to eat things you enjoy," Elaine said.

"I know. We have a game plan that's working and you don't want another hospital visit apart from check-ups. Doesn't mean I like it," Talia said.

Elaine poured the batter into the waffle maker. "I already told Mrs Wilson that you like burritos and calzones and she says she'll try to make it work with the plan we have right now."

"I know."

"That doesn't mean you can't ever have them from him if that's what you want. Just don't make it a habit."

Talia perked up. "Really?"

Elaine nodded. "But, and this is a huge but, I have to know when and it can't be more than once a week."

"Yes!"

Elaine chuckled. "Moderation Talia. That's the key. Don't over do it. I also want to know ingredients."

"Nicolai says his mother makes them from a recipe every time."

"Why don't you ask him for it and we give it a try when your father comes back this weekend?"

"I'll send him a text now," Talia said. She sent a quick text to Nicolai asking him for the recipe.

Elaine slid a plate with waffles covered in condensed milk to Talia. "Eat quickly. I'll drop you to school before I go to the office."