Chapter 19

The man was already lying on the floor unconscious. Nicolai's knuckles were bruised. He wasn't in school uniform anymore.

"Talia?" he asked. His eyes widened. "What are you doing here? And why are you wearing a sheet?"

"I knew you were in trouble so I came to get you. Come on. We need to leave," she said.

"Wait," Nicolai said. He went back to the desk and grabbed a stack of papers that he folded and shoved into the back of his pants and covered with his shirt. He took her hand. "Let's get out of here."

"Bryce is waiting on us outside in the car."

"Bryce? What is he doing here?" Nicolai asked. He pulled her in the opposite direction she'd came from and down some stairs.

"I was on a date," she said.

"Is that why you look so sick?"

"No. That's completely my fault." She was starting to feel nauseous. She didn't have to look at her pump to know what that meant. She'd overcorrected.

"Are you going low?" Nicolai asked. She nodded. "Wait here."

She grabbed his hand. "We leave first. Bryce is waiting outside and any minute they'll figure out you're gone and I'm here." The noise stopped. She held her phone to her ear. "Jigsaw, we're not out yet."

"Give me a sec," Jigsaw said. The lights started flickering and everything came back on. "I love technology. Smart houses are the best thing since... cellphones."

"You can fangirl later," Talia said. She pulled Nicolai to the living room. "There are dogs outside. We'll have to run."

"Let me go first. Dogs like me," Nicolai said.

She rolled her eyes. "Don't I know it."

He grinned and opened the window. He jumped down. She heard the dogs growl for a moment then nothing. She looked down. Their tails were wagging and the three dogs were trying to cover Nicolai with licks.

"Come," he said. "They won't bite."

She didn't trust them, and she knew what a good liar Nicolai was, but she didn't have any choice. She sat on the windowsill and put her legs out. Nicolai lifted her down. He took her hand and pulled her across the lawn to the wall. They heard shouts from inside the house. All the lights outside turned on.

As soon as they reached the wall, Nicolai lifted her around the waist and practically threw her onto the wall. She jumped down the other side and he landed next to her.

"He's this way," she said.

They heard the gates opening behind them. They ran towards the car. She threw open the door and they dived into the backseat.

"Drive Bryce!" she shouted.

He floored the pedal and the car jerked forward, the tires screeching.

"Bryce," Nicolai said.

"Nicolai," Bryce said.

Juniper climbed from the front seat to the back and pawed at her leg. She whined.

"Yes, girl. I know," Talia said. Her headache was getting worse and her hands were shaking. Juniper turned so she could reach into her vest for the glucose tablets she kept inside.

Bryce checked the rear view mirror. He slowed down as they reached the town.

"Nicolai. Where am I dropping you off?" he asked.