Prologue: The Glade

Abby woke up sitting in darkness. The cool metal ground beneath her seemed to be moving. Not really side to side but...up.

The only thing she could think of, other than fear, was her name. She couldn't remember anything else.

There was a sound of clanking metal, but she couldn't see anything to tell where it was coming from.

"Hello?" she called, her voice cracking at first, "What's going on?" Suddenly, there was a gasp from next to her and she jumped, turning towards the direction of the noise. And then there was breathing. "Is someone there?" Abby asked.

A girls voice, not young, answered, "Who are you? Why are you here?" She sounded confused.

"W-What?" Abby couldn't imagine why anyone would be asking that in the situation they were in.

"I'm Teresa," she said, "And you shouldn't be here. This is a mistake."

The floor of whatever they were in jerked violently and Abby was tossed to the side a little bit. "Teresa? Are you still there?" she quavered.

There was no response, but a dim red light above her started to blink. There was just enough light for Abby to see the Teresa girl, who looked maybe sixteen, passed out on the floor. And she also saw that she was in a box large enough to stand up in with a top and everything. All the walls were metal. "What do I do?" she spoke to herself, "Someone help!"

A faint alarm sound started to get louder and louder until Abby had to cover her ears at the sound. All of a sudden, the box stopped. 

Doors slid open above her and Abby was blinded by bright sunlight. She put her hand up to cover her eyes. And when she looked up again she saw silhouettes of people standing outside the box. When her eyes adjusted a little to the light, she saw that they were a bunch of teenagers. And they were all boys.

"What does he look like?" someone remarked.

"It's not a 'he' Shuckface," from another.

"Are you telling me there's a girl down there?"

Shuckface? Abby thought, What does that even mean?

"Newt, Alby, what do you see?" another guy's voice intently asked, but Abby didn't recognize any of the names.

"They're girls. Two girls. And one of them looks dead," a voice with a British accent told. Abby had no idea how she could recognize a British accent, but she could.

Two of them, one with dark skin and eyes and the other with odd eyebrows (😂lol), suddenly jumped down into the box with the help of ropes. Abby instinctively scooted back to the farthest wall. The two boys started to slowly haul Teresa out of the box. Abby was starting to wonder if anyone was going to help her when someone else hopped in.

He landed with a thud on his feet. "Ow," he started to hop in one foot for a second, "Bloody leg." It was the British boy.

"Who are you?" Abby asked fearfully.

"Hey, it's alright," he squatted down in front of her, "I'm Newt." He - Newt - stuck out his hand and Abby hesitantly shook it while analyzing his features.

Newt had dirty blonde hair and dark brown eyes that matched his slight smile.

Abby decided that he was cute.

"The Greenies and the way they check everyone out," Newt muttered to himself, smiling.

"Greenies? What does that mean?"