Chapter 7

Abby had no idea how long she was passed out, but she couldn't remember anything from it.

Her eyes started to flutter open, seeing only light at first. The white light soon faded so that she could see Newt's face above her. "Abby?" he asked quietly, "Abby are you awake?" There was a bit of concern in his voice.

"Newt?" she mumbled, blinking her eyes so she could clearly see.

"Bloody hell," Newt breathed, clutching Abby's head to his chest, "I'm so glad you're okay."

He let go gently and Abby realized that she was lying on a thin mattress on the floor. It must have been moved from the empty bed she saw to her right. And she also noticed the dull pain in her leg where the launcher shot.

Abby sat up and looked again at Newt who was crouched next to the mattress. "How long have I been passed out?" she questioned.

"Quite a long time," he said, "At least several hours. But not as long as the rest of them." Newt glanced around the room and behind him at Thomas, Brenda, and Minho all sleeping on various couches and beds.

"What about you?" Abby quizzed.

"Well, they told me that you should be fine and wake up whenever, but you know me," he looked up and grinned slightly, "I still worry of course."

"Did you get any sleep?"

"Yeah, a little," Newt told, "But then I came over and just laid next to you. Until I started to see you waking up."

"From what I remember, I'm pretty sure you were lying on the mattress with me." Abby teased.

Newt smiled, "Maybe I was."

Abby started to move her legs off the mattress but winced at the abrupt pain that came with it.

"Does it hurt too much?" Newt was watching her worriedly.

"Only really when I move it," Abby made known, "I can handle it though." She didn't want to put any more stress on Newt. They were already going through enough.

Newt took her hand in his and leaned forwards, connecting their lips softly. "Does that make it any better?" Newt smiled.

"Almost," Abby kissed him quickly, "Now it does." It was one of the rare moments in that time where they forgot what was happening around them and to them for just a couple seconds. One of the only times they could clearly show their affection for each other and Abby absolutely cherished it.

"I wish it could just be like this always," Abby spoke quietly, "That all of the bad stuff could just go away and we could live normally."

Remembering that their life was nowhere near perfect like the few seconds that they just experienced, Newt's smile disappeared, "I wish everything could be like that too."

Ten minutes later, everyone was awake.

Jorge walked into the room. "I think it's time we have a talk," he announced, "Just so both of us can get some sort of explanation." Everyone in the room nodded. They all sat down, moving seats closer together.

"First things first," Jorge sighed, "How come the rest of your friends left you behind?"

Thomas' eyes went wide. "What?" he questioned.

"You know, the girl. And the rest of the other kids. They broke through the place and tied up most of the guards. Then they left with a pilot flying another Berg," Jorge explained.

"Wait," Minho said, "You're telling me that they left without us?"

"Yes," Jorge nodded, "I let them go because I didn't want to get smacked in the head or shot by them."

"That's why there were almost no guards," Newt pointed out. They all sat there in a bit of shock for a few seconds.

Thomas spoke up again, "Do you know where they went?"

Jorge leaned back in his seat. "It's a good thing hermano that I know how to work this Berg's system," he told, "After a little work, I found that they went to the city called Denver."

"And where are we?" Abby asked. "We've landed in an open area not that far from Denver," Jorge said.

"Then we should go to Denver," Thomas added.

"Agreed," Minho muttered. No one argued against the decision.

But Abby was thinking about something else. "What about WICKED tracking us?" she wondered, "This is their Berg. I'm sure they can track it."

Jorge shook his head, "I turned off the tracking system. It would take them a long time to find us if they even can."

"But they also still have the devices in our heads," Abby broke in.

"Yeah," Thomas agreed, realizing what she was saying, "They could still be able to control us just like Alby and Gally."

Brenda started to smile for some reason. "I know how we can fix it so they can't control you," she told, "And it's another reason to go to Denver."

After a couple of seconds, Minho remarked, "Are you going to share it or what?"

"There's this guy named Hans who I know is in Denver. He used to work for WICKED until he realized that they weren't as good as they claimed to be," Brenda described, "He knows all about the implants in your heads. I'm sure he can do something to help make sure WICKED can't do anything to you."

Thomas looked around at the group, reading everyone's faces. "Then that does it," Thomas decided, "We go to Denver to see Hans. And if we can, find Teresa and the others."

Everyone agreed.

"There's only one problem," Jorge put in, "The city of Denver is locked tight. There's walls, guards, and security procedures. They are trying as hard as possible to keep the Flare out." He looked around at Thomas, Minho, and Brenda. "The four of us can act as Immunes looking for work inside the city. But you two..." he gestured at Newt and Abby, "You both will have to stay here in the Berg."

~

I hope this was good! I wrote this instead of working on this 8 paragraph essay I have to write. Procrastinating yay!
Anyways, this book has more than 500 reads which is so incredible! I love writing this and I'm amazed at how far it's come in just a short amount of time.
I'll really try to update more often
--Kaelan