Chapter 8

It didn't come as too much of a surprise to Abby. A city that is supposed to be a safe place from the Flare is not going to just let in infected people like her and Newt. Abby was a little disappointed that they would have to stay there, but she could still be reasonable no matter how weird her head felt.

"That'll be fine. Don't worry about us," she stated.

"You sure?" Thomas asked, "I'm sure we could find a way to get you in somehow-"

Abby cut him off, "I don't want to get other people infected. Just go."

"Okay," Thomas looked as if he understood, "What about you Newt?"

Newt looked a little on edge and upset, leaning back in his chair with his arms crossed. He shook his head though, "It's fine. We'll be fine. Go ahead and go."

Abby knew he wasn't saying the whole truth, but she wasn't being completely truthful either. Neither of them actually wanted to wait in the Berg at the hands of WICKED to possibly find them or get in their heads. But, doing that was better than being the cause of an outbreak of the Flare in the protected city.

"We're all for this then?" Thomas asked. No one argued and most of them nodded. "Alright. Denver it is," Thomas ended.

The flight to Denver was only two hours. It gave Abby enough time to sleep for a little longer since she was still exhausted from being shot by the launcher and running around the WICKED complex. No one else slept however, especially not Jorge who was flying the Berg.

When Abby woke up, she spotted Newt sitting in a chair across from her. He seemed to be either watching her or just staring off into space. She couldn't tell.

"Whatcha thinking about?" Abby questioned, sitting up on the bed she was lying on.

"Nothing," he stated, looking at the floor and then away at a wall. Something was on his mind, Abby was sure. He always got really silent when he was thinking about something.

"Not feeling very talkative are you?" she continued.

"No."

Abby hoped that Newt wouldn't be like this after the others were gone.

Finally, the Berg shifted slightly, signalling that they had landed. Jorge came walking in the room from where he was flying the Berg. "Okay, time to go," he told, clasping his hands together, "We're going to need to hurry up if we want to be back before sundown."

Thomas, Minho, and Brenda all stood up, getting ready. Soon, Newt and Abby were standing at the edge of the open Berg ramp while the others were walking down it.

"We'll be back as soon as we can," Thomas spoke, looking to Newt.

Abby nodded and and gave a small wave before the ramp closed.

"So," Abby turned to Newt, "What should we do?"

"I don't know," Newt sighed and eventually wandered off back to where he was sitting before.

Something is up with him, Abby thought. Maybe it was the Flare, but Abby didn't feel how Newt was acting. She walked in the direction Newt went and sat down across from him.

There was practically ten minutes of silence between them before Newt finally spoke up. "Abby," he breathed, looking at the floor, "I need to tell you something. Before I...you know...can't anymore."

"Okay," Abby's heart was beating a bit faster, wondering what he was going to say and hoping it would be nothing bad.

Newt looked up, "Back in the maze when we first met, I remember you asked me why I had a limp. And I told you that I hurt it, running away from a Griever out in the maze."

"Yeah, I remember that," Abby chimed in.

"Well that was a lie," Newt admitted, "None of it was true, except for the part about me being a runner. I never actually was running away from a Griever and they didn't stop me from being a runner only because of my injury."

"How did you hurt your leg then?" Abby questioned. She wasn't sure that she wanted to hear the answer, but it seemed like it was troubling Newt so much from trying to say it and anything he would lie to her about had to be serious. She had to know what it was.

(*trigger warning* I'm sure you know what it is tho)

Newt took a deep breath, "I tried to kill myself in the maze."

Abby's jaw dropped and her breath caught in her throat.

"I hated the place and everything in that life that much," Newt explained, "So, one morning, I left through the walls just like every other day since I was a runner. Except, I knew I wasn't going to run through any of the sections. I had planned it all out the night before. I went as far out as I could so no one could find me and started climbing up the ivy on one of the walls. Once I got to a decent height, I closed my eyes and jumped right off. But. . .it didn't work." He looked so broken as he spoke, leaning forward with his arms wrapped around his torso. His eyes had closed.

Abby made a quick decision to come over and sit next to him, placing her hand on his shoulder. "It's okay, Newt. Just breathe," she reassured.

"It didn't work and I landed on my leg, basically shattering it," he continued, tears showing in his eyes, "I laid there for hours until Alby finally found me and brought me back. He promised me he would never tell anyone about it. And I lied to everyone about what really happened." Newt shouted, "I lied to everyone!"

Abby barely flinched at his sudden anger. She just wrapped her arms around him. "I'm sorry I wasn't there for you even though there's really no way that I could have been," Abby comforted.

Newt's voice lowered, "I know. You couldn't have been there. But, I think you came at the perfect time. I don't know how I could be getting through all of this if you hadn't come."

"And I was the mistake," Abby remembered.

"Maybe for WICKED," Newt said, "But not for me." The two of them just sat there after that, Abby holding Newt. The silence lasted a couple of minutes.

"Abby," Newt mumbled again. She then realized that his right arm and hand were shaking, seeming uncontrollably. "I don't feel right and it's getting worse," Newt confessed, "My head feels weird and I just get mad at everything. Sometimes it's like I have absolutely no control over myself."

"If it makes you feel any better, I'm having the same feelings," Abby added.

"No," Newt shook his head, "I've been watching you and. . .this is different. This is worse."

She believed him. How could she have any idea of what was happening to him?

Newt went on, "I think I'm progressing faster than you, Abby. I'm getting closer and closer to becoming a Crank faster than you." Neither of them said it, but they both knew what it meant. Somehow, even though they were in the same conditions and we're together almost all the time, Newt would become a full on Crank before Abby would. And that meant watching him turn. It hurt so badly knowing that.

The next few hours passed with nothing too eventful in the Berg. They found some food in a random cabinet and ate it. Eventually however, when the sun was almost setting, a sudden noise from the direction of the Berg's ramp brought their attention away from each other.

"What was that?" Abby whispered.

"I'm not sure," Newt responded just as a sound of the ramp going down rang through the silence.

Newt's eyes were wide. "Hide!" he stated, quickly following Abby to a closet and getting inside. Newt soon opened the door though and stepped out.

"What are you doing?" Abby pleaded.

"I need to see what is going on," he said, "I'll be right back." Abby didn't have time to answer because he immediately shut the closet door.

In a few seconds, Abby heard commotion from her spot in the dark closet. She heard Newt shout before there were a couple of loud crashes and thuds. She began to worry.  

~

Hi please don't hate me for always doing cliffhangers. I honestly feel like it makes it easier to cut this into chapters lol. Also, sorry this is so long. I hope it is good.
Thank you for 620+ reads!! Ily!!
-Kealan