Chapter 4

Behind the metal door were a few chairs that made the room look oddly like a waiting room. Minho, Abby, and Newt sat down because they didn't have any other choice. There were four guards with their weapons out and pointing right at them.

And there was Janson sitting on the other side of the room.

It was a few minutes until anything happened. A brief hissing sound brought everyone's attention to the door right as Thomas and Brenda burst into the room.

Abby barely had enough time to wonder how Brenda was there before launchers were fired. One caught a guard in the arm and another hit one guard's chest. Both of them fell to the ground.

Minho and Newt saw their advantage and grabbed the other two guards, one man, and one woman.

"What in the world are you doing?" Janson was now standing from his seat. No one answered him though.

The male guard was struggling and shouting. Thomas hesitated but shot the man with the launcher anyways. He fell back away from where Minho was holding him with a spark of electricity making its way all over the guard's body.

Abby grabbed a surrendered launcher and held it tightly, pointing it at Janson. Brenda did the same.

"You're never going to get out of this building," Janson said, holding his hands up in a slight surrender, "In two minutes, there will be more guards coming and you won't have a chance."

Brenda smirked, "Then it's a good thing that's all the time we need." Right as she finished speaking, she pulled the trigger in her launcher and Janson was tossed to the floor with only a slight shout of pain.

"Shit, Brenda," Newt breathed. The woman he had been holding was now kneeling in front of him with her hands behind her back.

"That was pretty badass," Minho commented.

"Well, it's not going it kill him," Brenda told, "He'll probably only be down for twenty minutes at most."

"Can I ask how and why you're here?" Abby spoke to Brenda.

Thomas answered, "She was supposed to be doing my operation, but she's on our side."

Minho looked skeptical but stayed silent.

"Okay," Abby placed her hand on her hip, "How are we going to get out of here?"

"With this," Brenda held up a key card from one of the guards, "This with the help of her." She gestured to the woman guard.

Minho walked over to her. "You're a hostage now," he told, "Don't make any bad decisions." Then he pulled her to her feet.

Newt came over and stood protectively by Abby, even though he was sure she could most likely take care of herself.

"Alright," Thomas held his launcher ready, "Let's go find our friends and get out of here."

They started cautiously walking through the hallways. At each corner, they were expecting there to be ten guards waiting to ambush them, but there never was. Every time they thought they heard footsteps, it turned out to just be their own.

Where is everyone? Abby thought in the odd silence.

Thomas must have been thinking the same thing. "Why are there no guards?" he voiced.

"I don't know," Minho turned towards their prisoner, "Where are all the guards?"

"I have no idea," her voice sounded like she was wondering where they were as well.

"Stop lying," Minho pressed.

"I swear I don't know," she said almost helplessly, "All I know is that most of us were called somewhere else."

None of them knew what to think of that. Abby just kept walking with the others but put on edge just slightly more. All of it was too easy. With everything they'd gone through, nothing had ever been just leaving on your own terms.

Eventually, there was a set of double doors that required a key card to be opened.

"Hold on," Abby paused, and the others stopped in their tracks. Thomas was about to swipe the card. "Don't you think we should be prepared for there to be a hundred guards on the other side of those doors?" she questioned, "We can't just walk in like it's our own house."

"She's right," Brenda agreed, "We have to be ready for whatever hell is waiting for us through these doors."

"Right," Thomas began, "Minho, Newt, you go on that side. Brenda, Abby, and I will stay on this side. And she'll open the door." Thomas looked at the woman and handed her the keycard. Everyone else took their positions, launchers ready to shoot as soon as the doors cracked open.

"Okay," Thomas took a breath, "In three, two..."

Suddenly, the lights flicked off and an alarm started to blare from unseen speakers.

"Abby? Where are you?" Newt called over the high pitched alarms. He stumbled forwards in the darkness and his hands felt the clothing of someone running past him.

As if on cue, Minho spoke up, "The guard's gone!"

"She ran away that way," Newt pointed even though no one could see him, "Is everyone okay?"

Abby knew he was talking to her. "Newt, I'm fine. Just stay on that side of the hallway."

"I'll open the door with the key card I stole from Janson," Thomas spoke. There was a sound of a swipe and the doors opened.

Everyone with a launcher shot at once, making thousands of electricity tendrils erupt on the floor past the doorway.

"Stop shooting, stop shooting," Thomas interrupted. They did so.

"There's nobody in there," Newt stated.

"No shit," Minho mumbled.

"Oh, shut up Minho."

There were just silhouettes of chairs and a desk inside. The alarm abruptly stopped.

"Brenda, we need your help," Thomas admitted, "What's our best way out of here?"

"Jorge's at the Berg hangar," Brenda put in, "He can fly us out of here, but there will definitely be other people there."

"We need more weapons then," Newt chimed in.

"We can stop at the weapon room along the way," Brenda replied.

"That's it then," Minho said, stepping up next to Thomas. Their eyes had adjusted more to the darkness and things were slightly more visible. "We make it to Jorge and the Berg, and try to find the others along the way."

And the group started off with Brenda leading them in the directions of the weapons room.

Ugh, this is such a filler chapter I'm sorry. I had pretty bad writer's block. But, I promise the next chapter will be a lot better!💖💖