Chapter 14

It was half an hour later when Abby started to wake up, but it felt like much longer. As her consciousness slowly came back, she started to feel the cold flat ground beneath her. It was a familiar feeling, so familiar that for a second she was terrified that she was in the box heading to the maze once again.

But no, there were voices around her. Many voices, like there would be coming from a crowd.

Abby slowly opened her eyes. Everything was blurry at first, but after blinking a few times, the world slowly came into focus.

There was probably around fifty people in the large room, some sitting on the ground and some standing, but they were all teenagers or kids. Different groups of people obviously knew each other by the way they talked together so easily. And they were all dressed in clean clothes, looking like they were happy. It wasn't the scene of kids who were just captured by WICKED.

Cautiously sitting up, Abby looked to her right to see Thomas laying against the wall with his eyes still closed and Brenda sitting next to him. Next to her was Jorge leaning his back on the wall and then Minho looking a little drowsy. "'Is he still asleep?" Abby asked Brenda as she scooted closer to Thomas.

"Yeah," Brenda replied, "I woke up first and Jorge and Minho just woke up not too long ago. That stuff they used on us is something."

Abby nodded. She was still tired and had a bit of a headache. "Where do you think we are?" Abby wondered.

Brenda shrugged, "I don't know. But I don't think that it is WICKED."

Jorge leaned over Brenda's shoulder and spoke, "Hey, I think we have an admirer." He pointed to the edge of the crowd, a few yards from them. There stood a girl with dark hair and shining blue eyes. Teresa.

"Hey Thomas," Abby shook his shoulder, "Wake up." It took a couple seconds, but his eyes soon opened and they got him to sit up.

"Thomas," Minho started, "Teresa's over there and I think if we want to find out where the shuck we are, she might be our best chance."

Thomas nodded, "Okay. Let's go talk to her." The five of them stood up, but before they could walk over to Teresa, she was already coming to them.

Thomas stepped forwards while the others stood a little bit behind him, but still close enough to hear what they were saying. "Hey," Thomas stated.

"Hey." They sat in silence for a couple of seconds, the situation obviously a little awkward after all that had happened. "Look, Thomas," Teresa began, "I'm sorry for leaving you guys behind when we left WICKED's complex, but I swear we thought that you had already gotten out. We tried our best to look for you, but in the end, we had to leave without you or we wouldn't get out."

Thomas sighed, "Okay." He didn't really seem as if he believed her, but he continued, "What have you been doing since then?"

"Well, after we found Gally, we started helping the Right Arm save Immunes before WICKED could get to them. And working to get Immunes back from WICKED," she explained, "We've been here for a few days."

"This is the Right Arm?" Thomas questioned. It was what they were all thinking.

Teresa nodded.

"But wait," Abby spoke quietly, "I'm not immune..." She trailed off and Thomas and Teresa looked at Abby, realizing what she said. She wasn't immune.

But before either of them could say anything, a man walked through a door and into the room with Gally behind him. He walked up to them as Teresa walked away. "Good. You guys are awake," he greeted, "Name's Vince." He didn't seem like the type of person to offer a handshake and he didn't. "I'm going to guess that you're Thomas based on what I've heard about you. Why don't you guys follow me in here," Vince told, nodding to the door behind him, "Gally and I need to have a talk with all of you. Get you up to speed on what is going on." He started to turn around towards the door, but Abby stopped him.

"Wait!" she said. Vince and Gally turned back around to face her. She had to tell them what was on her mind. She wasn't immune like everyone else and she had the Flare. She couldn't just keep it a secret and get someone infected. Abby sighed, "I shouldn't be here. You should have just left me back with the Berg or out on the street or taken me to the Crank Palace. That is where I should be."

Vince looked confused, "What are you talking about?"

"I'm not immune!" Abby admitted, close to shouting it, "I'm not immune and I have the Flare and I'm going to get anyone who also isn't immune infected!" She didn't want all of the bottled up emotions she had from leaving Newt to come out then, but it all did. She stared down at the floor, waiting for them to grab her and banish her from ever coming near the Right Arm again. But nothing happened.

After a few seconds, Abby looked up to see Vince just looking at her. Gally was standing next to him with his eyes wide like he knew something that Abby didn't.

Vince put his hand to his face and moved it gradually up to rest on his forehead. "I'm not sure how to tell you this," he began, "but we tested all of you while you were still asleep to make sure you were all immune. And you are."

~

I updated twice wow that is crazy. I hope you all liked this and I'm so sorry for all the cliffhangers lol. Also, it was Thomas Brodie-Sangster's birthday a couple days ago and I was happy :)
-Kaelan