Backstory Chapter #7

Taking action ~ 16 years old  

So far, every part of Abby's plan had been carefully thought through and executed perfectly. She knew that she hadn't left anything out.

Even the way she usually avoided the security cameras, she decided, was too risky by itself. So the night before she was going to leave, Abby broke into one of the surveillance rooms. It was easy for her to turn off the cameras set up around the box room and in the hallways she would take to get there. The last thing she did was change the passwords on the system to buy herself some time. (She made sure "wickedisnotgood" was one of them.)

Then it was done. She was ready. Mostly.

The next morning, Abby was awake before four a.m. Under her pillow, stuffed in a cloth napkin, was food she had secretly saved from dinner the night before. Half a piece of bread and a few apple slices. It was the only thing she could have for breakfast since she was leaving hours before all the kids were supposed to be awake. It wasn't the best, but it was something.

By four thirty, Abby sat on the edge of her bottom bunk, trying to mentally prepare herself for what she had coming. Thankfully, none of the four other girls in her dorm had woken up. It would've been the worst time for one of them to finally stop and question her.

Suddenly, Abby realized that she was leaving all of them behind. They were girls she had grown up with, no matter the circumstances they were in. But she had to go for Newt. Plenty of the girls she had known were already in the maze anyway. If she ever got a chance, Abby promised herself that she would help the girls in Maze B.

In no time, Abby had made it to the box room. The grey, metal door stood in front of her.

Here we go, Abby thought to herself, All I have to is go in there, take the box up to the maze, and find Newt. Easy enough. She stood still in front of the door, feeling hopeful. Finally, it was all coming together. Abby's yearning for Newt and determination to see him again only increased knowing that he was so close.

Taking a quick breath in and out, Abby undid the electronic lock with the key card she had taken and pushed the door open. She was about to jump up and down in rejoice when she realized that something was wrong. Her eyes widened.

The entrance to the box was open and standing near it was a woman in a white lab coat. Two men wearing the same outfit were standing behind her and around the room were three of WICKED's guards. Everyone in the room, including Abby, was frozen. The doctors didn't move, but looked at her, confused and curious.

Abby stared at them, then, all of a sudden, she turned quickly and tried to run from the room. Abby tried to move as fast as she could, however, one of the guards was faster. He got to the door before her and grabbed it with both hands, slamming it shut. The other two guards followed suit and grabbed each of Abby's arms. "Let go of me!" she demanded, "I need to get to Newt!" She was fighting like mad, trying her hardest to escape even though it was useless with the third guard blocking the door. It only made the guards grip her arms tighter as they got more and more annoyed at her stubborn persistence.

"Who are you?" the female doctor questioned, "What are you doing breaking in here? How did you get past the security lock?"

Abby didn't say a word in response, she just clamped her mouth shut and struggled more.

"She has a key card," one of the guards confirmed. He stared at the fabric cord that hung the key card from Abby's neck. The unoccupied guard reached for it, attempting to pull it over her head, but Abby jerked away.

"Stop!" she shouted as the guard continued to reach for the card. Violently moving her arms, Abby almost freed herself from them. She was making steady progress slipping out of their hands when the female doctor realized that their approach wasn't working. She turned from Abby and paced over to a small, metal rolling table. She searched the objects that were placed on it for a couple seconds before finding what she needed.