mute

no warnings :) I hope you enjoy!

word count : 1214

it's been two months since will byers' last visit to the upside down. will was back to normal but there's one thing. he won't speak anymore. no one knew the true reason why he stopped talking. maybe he was too traumatized? the upside down took his voice? people had their conspiracy theories but they were all wrong. (shane iS QUAKING)

after his unexpected visit to the upside down, joyce byers decided they all needed a fresh start. after searching all of indiana, joyce found a house in hawkins and they finally moved, just in time for the second semester at hawkins middle school. most people would dread moving since they had so much they were leaving behind but will couldn't say the same for himself. he always hated his house. it's not that it wasn't nice. it was fine but it just didn't feel like a proper home. homes were supposed to be cozy. will's old one didn't.

moving also required to leave behind friends. will didn't have any. he probably didn't even know the true meaning of "friend" since he never had one. before he stopped talking, he was considered a freak. no one talked to him. even after coming back from the upside down, things stayed the same, it was just his voice that was missing. but no one noticed. like they didn't notice him. (i relate to will sO MUCH)

~time skip to when will is in fourth period with mike~

"here is will byers. he is going to be a part of this class for the rest of the year so i encourage you to become friends with him. he is what most call, selectively mute, so please treat him with respect and not pick on him," mr. clark told the class and sent him off to the empty seat.

will felt all of his classmate's eyes on him. his nerves were going crazy, causing him to shake as he walked over to the empty seat in the back. and his social anxiety didn't help either. finally, he sat down and all the pairs of eyes were going back to the front of the class, except one. it was from a boy with messy hair, deep brown eyes, perfect freckles, breathe taking cheekbones and a sharp jawline. even though he felt nervous with the other student's eyes on him, he felt comfortable with him staring. the boy finally broke out of his trance and realized that will knew he was looking at him. the boy immediately turned red and looked back towards the front of the class, pretending like nothing happened but on the inside, he was screaming at how cute he was. he knew him for barely 5 minutes but he was already in love.

the bell to signal that fourth period is over and lunch was next finally rang. everyone picked up their backpacks and binders to leave. will did the same as everyone else. he made it out of the classroom and to his locker to put his things away for lunch. as he closed his locker, he found the same boy that was staring at him in fourth period standing behind it, startling will a bit.

"oh i'm sorry to startle you! um . . . i'm mike, we have 4th period together. i was just um wondering if you want to s-sit with me and my friends at lunch . . . . only if you want to!" mike asked will while blushing a little.

even though it was super obvious mike was flustered and blushing but will was oblivious. he took out a piece of paper and began writing. will gave it to mike and saw that the smaller boy wrote, "sure!" with a smiley face at the end.

mike admired and slightly drooled over the smaller boy's neat handwriting before replying, "great! meet you in the lunch room?"

will nodded, indicating "yes" as his response. mike smiled a dorky smile and walked off as his heart fluttered. as he turned around he heard a familiar voice.

"wow mike, you've really fallen for him," dustin teased.
"shut up!" mike playfully shoved dustin, "he might hear!"
"okay, whatever lover boy," dustin responded.
mike rolled his eyes. "but isn't he so cute and small and adorable!" dustin sighed and walked off to the cafeteria.

~time skip to when mike and his friends are in the cafeteria~

mike sat in his usual spot with his friends, anxiously waiting for will to enter the doors. what if he doesn't come, mike thought, what if he thinks I'm a loser? he started to bite his nails and bounce his left leg.

"mike, what's up? you look so nervous" max questioned mike.
"don't worry max, he's just scared his soulmate won't come" dustin dramatically jumped into the conversation and the whole table starts laughing. (dustin 👏🏻is 👏🏻me 👏🏻)
"ugh shut up," mike playfully rolled his eyes, "at least I have a chance with him. unlike you and ma- hey!"

dustin hit his arm, "shut up!"

~skip to when will enters to cafeteria~

will finally entered to the cafeteria after putting his books away. his eyes wandered around the large room filled with middle schoolers for the boy he met in 4th period, mike. he was about to get in line when a force pushed him face first onto the cafeteria floor. the room roared with laughter and insults. will managed to pick him and his stuff up but he was still red from embarrassment. as he stood back up, he finally got a good look at the person who pushed him. he got that stuck up, asshole looking face (IDK HOW TO DESCRIBE HIS FACE IN ANY OTHER WAY SKSJSK)

"looks like we got a fairy boy here," the asshole said.
"hey, who gave you the right to push him around like that," a voice joined in, a familiar one.
"come on will," the voice said as he took the smaller boy's hand, dragging him away from the scene. will finally identified it as mike, the one he was supposed to meet in the lunchroom.
"sorry about that jerk, troye. he's been bullying me and my friends for years," mike explained. all will did was follow and nod. finally they arrived at mike's friends' table.

"hey guys, here's will!" mike introduced will to his friends.
"he's also the one mike's in love wi- ow!" dustin teased while mike elbowed him in the stomach with a red face.
since will was still oblivious mike cleared up, "he didn't say anything."
will was still confused but he got introduced to each of them, dustin, lucas and max. (pretend el doesn't exist lmao) will didn't think this fresh start would be what he needed but it was. he finally had a group of friends that didn't think he was a freak, he found his house really cozy and home-like, and mike, as his best friend. ("BEST FRIEND" MY ASS AKSJJS HES YOUR BOYFRIEND)

a/n : hi sorry for the wait! since it's my bday i wanted to finish this one and publish it :) should i make a part two with more lovey dovey stuff? (also this isn't the one i accidentally published the other day, it will come soon tho (; )