Prologue

The October wind blew and made her shiver

The October wind blew and made her shiver. She felt his warmth and the weight of his arm on her shoulder. She scanned the empty beach and felt like they were the only people on earth. The cold sand was coming through the seat of her pants. Still, they sat together for a long time. The only sound was the surf and the gulls because talking would only make it worse.

He stood and pulled her to her feet. "Walk with me. Please."

"When do you have to leave?"

"Soon, I can't stay. I'm sorry."

She felt his hand in hers as they walked down the beach. She tried to remember the feel of his hand knowing that after today it would only be a memory. She averted her eyes as they walked past the Beach House where they had met. They boarded it up - closed for the season. Her mind was spinning, and the tears were threatening to escape, she stopped and he turned towards her.

"What?" His voice quiet.

"I can't... I can't say goodbye to you again." Her tears had escaped her eyes and were leaving a trail down her cheeks.

She felt his gentle finger swipe across her cheeks. Looking down at her with his piercing blue eyes, he frowned. "I'll always love you. I wish everything were different, but it involves too many people... more than just you and me..."

"You never lied to me. I... I always knew you weren't mine, but I hoped that would change. I knew in here." Her hand patted her breastbone. "You came back to say goodbye. I hoped you would choose me, but... I love you... that's not enough, is it? You should go. Staying will only make it worse." She felt emotionally drained and empty.

She felt the caress of his hand on her cheek, as he looked into her eyes again. His lips were soft and sensual. She kissed him back and took in his taste that was so familiar. She couldn't believe she'd never feel his mouth on hers or look into his eyes again.

Abruptly she pulled away. "Go! Just go... I never want to see you again."

He looked as if he might cry, but softly he said, "I'll always love you... always."

She watched his back disappear and sank into the sand and sobbed. She had known the day was possible, and it was worse than she imagined.