16 - Sprinkles

After walking Beth home, Oliver walked back to the bistro where he parked his car. He thought about checking on Caitlyn, but he trusted David. He had expected a quiet Tuesday night. Beth looked beautiful, but when didn't she? He was always afraid of upsetting her, but he hadn't.

Would she take up his offer to use the house? He didn't care if she sprinkled glitter everywhere.

He had convinced his parents to visit the weekend of the gala. He hadn't seen them since the world's fastest trip home on Christmas day. Before that they had come to the opening in late October. They would stay at a hotel right in Old Port.

"Your mother wants to be a tourist. Don't worry she'll tell everyone she meets about her son owning Les Bistros Français. She's very proud of you. We both are, son," his father, Oliver Senior said.

"You're certain you want to attend the charity gala?"

"You know I love a good charity. When will you find the right woman?" the older man asked. His parents had accepted long ago that he and Hayley weren't meant to be.

He wanted to say that he already had, she just didn't know it yet. Instead he said, "I'm far too busy. The bistro is my priority."

With the gala less than three weeks away, Oliver had finalized the menu. He sent it to Bethany the afternoon after her dinner with Caitlyn. He sent a text. I hope the birthday girl is fine.

She replied, the last I knew she was still with your bartender.

Oliver laughed and typed, this feels like déjà vu.

Beth replied, I guess she hasn't changed much.

Oliver said, I'll check in with David later.

Let's hope he makes it to work.

Oliver replied, he better!

I want to use the house if it's ok.

I offered. Do you have a key?

Yes.

He wasn't sure why her using the house excited him. He knew she loved that house and hopefully being home would make her happy.

His mother called. "Ollie dear." She was the only one who called him Ollie. "Stu and Maria want to come with us and Hayley said she wanted to go too."

"So I need to reserve five for dinner on Friday instead of two?"

"If you could, dear."

"You said nine, right?"

"Yes, they'll attend the charity event too."

"Even Hayley?" Why was that suddenly weird? He'd have to warn Ava.

"Yes, apparently she's recently single. She was dating another lawyer, but it didn't work out."

Oliver hoped she wasn't coming to get him back.

"Mom, they know that I can't get them into the charity?"

"Of course, your father will pay or he'll work it out with Stu."

After he hung up with his mother, he sent a text to Lucas for three more tickets. Lucas replied, we are almost sold out!

This gala was taking on a life of its own. When he offered his bistro, he didn't know how involved he would become. Would he have been so willing without Beth? The answer was no.

On Saturday morning, he was relaxing before heading into work, when there was a knock on the door. Bethany had texted him she was coming by, but he didn't expect her so early. Opening the door to her, she said, "I've got a car full of supplies."