28 - A hush

Beth and Lucas had shared their version of the no marriage or children situation. Still, Oliver was responsible for the pending demise of their relationship.

He was talking to Lucas and Beth when his family arrived. As he greeted them, Hayley looked happy. He whispered, "Behave. Ava is my best friend and business partner."

Hayley just gave him a look as if to say, who me? I always behave.

Back in the kitchen, he was busy at work after having stepped away. Lucas and Beth had been served and he was putting the finishing touches on the meals for his parents' party. Lucas' server interrupted him with some very disturbing news.

Helping to deliver the entrees for his special guests, he had to find a way to speak to Beth. Unfortunately, his parents tied him up talking. Other than attempting to wave Beth his way with his hand, there was nothing he could do.

Why was it when these things happen in public everyone noticed? A hush fell over the dining room as the server delivered champagne and the flourless chocolate torte with a mini sparkler and placed it in front of Beth.

She said, "It's not my birthday." She looked at Oliver as if to see if it was his doing and Oliver shook his head, no, wishing he could scream it instead.