6 - Frittata

It surprised Oliver to see a response from Bethany when he woke. Her response was quick and to the point. He replied in the same manner, The Bistro tomorrow at noon. I'll serve lunch. He would wait to see if she would accept his invitation. He suggested cooking for her without thinking it through. He had cooked for her before, but they were on a tight budget and he used her grandmother's kitchen, not a professional kitchen.

On Saturday morning, he arrived earlier than ever. Ava was always in very early baking. She took one look at him. "What are you doing here dressed like that?"

He had worn khakis, instead of his typical jeans, and a button-down shirt. He wasn't sure why he did, but she was used to her impeccably dressed boyfriend, and he wanted to show her he was no longer a kid.

"I have a meeting about the foundation thing today."

He knew he would have to tell Ava the truth. "Actually the one, I'm meeting, my contact, Lucas' girlfriend, is.... is Bethany." He quickly added. "Don't tell anyone."

"Holy... shoot Romeo, how did that happen? You're always hanging out with that guy. He's hot even though he's older, so it looks like she traded up after you." Ava laughed. As he moved about the kitchen, she asked, "What are you doing?"

"It's a lunch meeting. I'm making a frittata and salad. Women love salads." He remembered years ago her refrigerator was filled with salad fixings.

Ava was eyeing him and he knew that she would embarrass him. She knew too much about Bethany and now she would want to meet her. She volunteered to make a special dessert. Lucas had just asked him about his relationship with Ava. Did Bethany wonder too?

He and Ava had been friends since college. Most summer breaks, they worked together, except one. Oliver went to Maine, and Ava followed the guy she was seeing to Nantucket for the summer. By the end of the summer, both of them returned to school changed. Ava's change was good. She had worked under a pastry chef all summer and had honed her skills. She also dumped the guy and had a summer fling with the older pastry chef. She was content enough to say goodbye at the end of the summer.

After they graduated the following spring, they went to France together to work for a year. They learned more in that year than in four years of college. When they returned, they worked toward their shared dream of opening their own restaurant. While Oliver's personal life was stagnant, Ava's hadn't been. She had Josh, the world's best guy, who moved to Portland with them. He found a job at a financial firm and was glad to leave Boston behind.

Oliver paced the dining room looking at his watch. He was afraid she'd stand him up. Finally, at twelve-fifteen, she arrived. She shrugged out of her coat and looked casual wearing jeans and a green sweater that brought out her eyes. She looked the same as if she hadn't aged at all. She was as beautiful as ever. She didn't mention being late nor did he.

She looked around. "It looks different in the daytime."

"Yes, and empty." He agreed and added, "Lunch is ready. Come sit." He pulled a chair out for her. It was quiet except for the sound of Ava's music leaking through the kitchen door. He sat across from her. "Beth, you look great. Exactly like I've remembered you all this time."

He remembered the night they met.

Beth said, "I think you're stuck here. I can get you a blanket and pillow. The sofa isn't too bad."

He took her hand. "Thank you."

He looked into her eyes and put his hand on the side of her face. "I want to kiss you, but I have a serious girlfriend at home."

She placed her hand over his. "How serious?"

"Serious enough, our mothers are discussing color schemes and china. I need to finish school before I ask the important question."

"So you're not engaged yet. You know what happens at the beach stays at the beach."

Laughing, he asked, "Is that so?"

He was wrestling with himself. Should he kiss her? He wanted to, and that bothered him. He was supposed to only want Hayley. They'd been together forever, as they literally grew up next door to each other. Their mothers were best friends. They took baths together when they were babies. They went to their first dance together in eighth grade. They were each other's first kiss and junior year on the couch in his basement, while their parents were upstairs drinking and playing Rummikub, they made sloppy, awkward love for the first time. Thank God it had gotten better, not that Hay had ever made noises as he heard coming through the walls. Suddenly he was with this beautiful girl and just looking at her, he felt an attraction that he shouldn't be feeling. He twisted his hand to hold on to hers and held it. "If we kiss, it can't lead to anything lasting."

Whispering, she said, "No. I guess not."

Slowly, tentatively, he put his lips on hers. She responded to every move he made. It was a kiss that was barely more than platonic with no tongue or teeth and it ended quickly. Rattled by the physical reaction it stirred within him; he looked at her eyes and her lips and suddenly felt the need to kiss her again. That kiss could not be confused with platonic. Her lips parted, and he was sure she sighed when his tongue touched hers. He was making love to her mouth. He felt intoxicated and heady. Perhaps it had to do with the blood that had involuntarily rushed to points south. He hoped that she wouldn't notice his reaction. He didn't know how long they kissed. He couldn't stop. He didn't want to pull away from her, even though guilt was coursing through him.

Coming to his senses, he said, "It's late. I think I should take that pillow now."

"Okay. Yeah, alright. I'll be right back." Her voice had a sad tone.

She went behind the closed door of her room after she gave him a pillow and a light blanket. He settled on the sofa and struggled to sleep. He woke early to the sounds of JP going at it again and wanted to bury his head under the pillow. Instead, he got up and looked in Beth's refrigerator. He found enough ingredients to make a basic frittata. It appeared as if she only made salads, but she also had plenty of eggs.