33 - The Chef

By late afternoon, the room was all set up and decorated. Even Ava commented on how beautiful it was. The kitchen was in full swing with his paid staff working. Oliver's volunteer servers would arrive shortly, but he took a moment to pull Beth downstairs before she left to get ready.

"I'll have trouble not staring at you tonight." He took her in his arms.

"You don't even know what my dress looks like." She blushed.

"It doesn't matter. You're always beautiful." He kissed her. The kiss was full of promise of the future he wanted to give her. As if on cue, just as their tongues met and his fingers were in her hair, her phone buzzed.

Groaning, she pulled away and looked at it. "Sorry it's Lucas. He's wondering when I'll be... home."

"Can I be jealous of him?"

"Why?"

"Because you'll be on his arm tonight and his bed."

"I slept in the guest room last night. My days in his bed are over."

"Really?"

"Really." She gave him a quick brush on the lips. "I've got to go."

Oliver wondered how long before he could get her into his bed again. Chastising himself for those thoughts, he went back to work. The kitchen was humming. The food would be prepared ahead. His teen center boys arrived. Some promised to bring other family members with serving experience. He explained to them what they needed to do. He felt confident that they would make Lucas and Beth proud.

Just before the festivities were about to start Oliver changed into laundered and pressed chef's whites with the classic black and white check pants and to make it official a toque blanche. He would be at a crepe station to start the evening. No one would leave hungry.

He was talking to David about the wine supply when she arrived. He tried not to stare, but the minute Lucas took off Beth's coat, she took his breath away. They had arrived with another couple, and Beth was talking with the other woman. He suspected that she was avoiding looking at him. Lucas however came directly to him. "Looks like you are all set. Thank you."

Oliver smiled. "Do you recognize the servers?"

A smile came over him. "Do I! If one of them calls me 'old man', I'll... I'll laugh. With the past twenty-four hours, I feel old."

"I know. Are you okay?" Oliver refused to say he was sorry.

"I'll have to be." He looked sad.

"Looks to me like it isn't all bad. She's on your arm tonight."

Lucas smiled. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Beth watching them and he slyly winked when Lucas turned away.

The night was a whirlwind. He was busy monitoring everything. The boys were doing great. His family was enjoying the who's who of Portland. He knew his mother was bragging to everyone she spoke to. He glimpsed at her speaking with Beth for a while and smiled. He received compliments from the guests and handed out business cards encouraging them to make reservations unless it was a weeknight. Even Ava was smiling as he saw her talking to Josh who had been a huge help all night.

When Hayley headed towards Ava, he bee-lined towards them. "Ava, your desserts were delicious," Hayley said.

"Thank you. This is my boyfriend, Josh. Josh, Hayley and Romeo used to be an item."

"I see you still call him that." Hayley smirked.

Lucas and Beth approached, and they made more introductions. Josh smiled at Beth in a way that told Oliver, that Ava had filled Josh in on their story.

Hayley congratulated Lucas and Beth, and Lucas was diplomatic. "Unfortunately, the lady was a reluctant to accept my proposal." Their conversation continued and Oliver overheard Lucas, who said to Hayley, "You should vacation in Maine this summer. I can get you a gorgeous house to rent."

"Lucas, Hayley hates Maine."

"I'm talking about Prout's Neck or Higgins or..."

Beth whispered to Oliver, "I think Lucas is flirting."

"Let him."

Lucas said to Hayley, "I'm having people over afterward. Join us."

Beth concurred. "Absolutely."

Hayley said, "Oliver?"

"I'd be underdressed." He had jeans and a sweater and they had tuxedos and suits and gorgeous dresses. One that he couldn't take his eyes off of.

Oliver moved on to his parents who were talking with a couple who were impressed with Les Bistros Français. They introduced him. The man worked at the hospital, and the woman had a British accent. Hosting this event would pay off, but he would have done it for any price if it meant getting him closer to Beth again. Tonight he felt like he had a double win.

His mother whispered, "I really like her. I like that she cared enough not to embarrass the other fellow."

When his parents left with their friends, Hayley stayed behind.

Who is the man who works at the hospital and the woman with the British accent? Read my story, Unexpected to find out.