8 - Icy

"I'm not doing this for the money. I offered because I want to help. Portland is my home now." He felt sincere in his message. Although he realized that he didn't live in the city.

She twisted her hands together. "You living here is a huge surprise."

Oliver couldn't hold back. "Beth, are you okay with this? With working with me?"

"Let's keep things official and keep our past to ourselves. There's no good that can come from rehashing it or telling others."

"You mean Lucas."

She nodded.

"I guess I need your phone number, so we can communicate."

"It's the same. It hasn't changed."

He remembered his disappointment when she had changed her number. She jotted down the number he rattled off.

"Well things change," she said with a chill worse than outside. As she stood and slipped into her coat, she added perhaps a degree warmer, "Thank you for lunch."

Oliver couldn't do anything, but watch her go. It was impossible to stay away from her six years ago, how was he going to now?

Defeated and turned to see Ava watching. "Icy." He sighed. "You know, if she really didn't care, she wouldn't be so hostile."

"I don't know. What does it matter, she's with Lucas? The thing is, I like the guy. My first impression was that he was too slick, but he really isn't like that. I'm sure he treats her like a queen. Do you hate me?"

"Hate you? Why would I hate you? You're my best friend."

She put her arms around him and hugged him.

"Well, I dragged you and Josh to Portland chasing a dream."

"Are you kidding? We love it. The vibe, the people. Josh loves his job, and it's a great place to open a restaurant. Just the fresh seafood alone is amazing. We'll succeed and you'll to do this stupid gala and move on. You won't have to see her after that."

"I think I need to move. I'm not sure she knows I'm living in her house," Oliver said thinking out loud. "Okay time to get to work. It's Saturday and we're booked."

"That's why I'm happy to be here."

She gave him one last squeeze.